Flooring in new shed

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by Stacie St. Germaine, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stacie St. Germaine

Stacie St. Germaine New Member

Oct 2, 2017
    We are new to goats and currently using a very large dog kennel for our nigerians. We have the space dug out for the new shed and are going back and forth on flooring. My husband says dirt but I prefer an actual floor. Any thoughts? I know each have pros and cons. I would love concrete but that's out of our budget. Thanks. :)

Also, with a dirt floor, how often do you all clean out all the poop? It seems they hold it in all day and just lay into pooping at night when they're put up. I've been doing it weekly but it could honestly be done daily it seems. I put down shavings but that doesn't seem to help much. Thanks for any input.

catharina likes this.
  2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I have dirt floor and put straw down. They almost never use it though, I only have to clean it out every few months ;)

wifeof1 and Stacie St. Germaine like this.

3. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    We have dirt. I love it! We do clean almost daily, but we have 4 goats and a rather small space for them - so cleaning daily is a must for us...

I use free pine dust from a local saw mill for bedding. We usually rake, sprinkle lime on the wet spots and then put in new bedding.

Stacie St. Germaine likes this.
  4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I prefer dirt over anything. Urine eventually soaks through any bedding.

Stacie St. Germaine likes this.
  5. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Concret is easy to slip on when wet. (I know from personal experience) I use pads from horse trailers on top of them. Makes cleaning easy but they are so heavy to move.

6. kathy_

kathy_ Member Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2017
    I have dirt floors and I like them. The goats sleeps up on some shelves my husband built so they don't sleep on the floor. We still have to clean it once a week. It's huge we had it built for our horses then we sold them the goats moved right in. They have all kinds of things to play on in there, we had a tree go down in the hurricane so my husband took the chainsaw and made them stepping stones they love them.