Floppy eared pygmy?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Meadowlark, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Meadowlark

Meadowlark New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Please tell me what you think about this.

In February, I plan to possibly pick up some baby pygmys. The lady sent me some pictures of the babies, and they have floppy ears. The babies are suppose to be purebred, but I have never heard of a floppy eared pygmy. I do not have registered goats, but do try to keep everything purebred, but these floppy ears are really throwing me, and I just don't know if I should continue with this. Is there such a think as a purebred pygmy with those pendulous ears????

Thanks,
    Meadowlark

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    do you have a picture??

sometimes newborn kids have flopped ears, but they straighten out and become "normal" as they get older

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

how old are they in the pictures?
    We have had quite a few purebred registered Nigerian kids born with floppy ears, they always straighten up. I think it has to do with how they "were" in the womb.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We've had a few floppy eared pygmy kids born, but there ears stiffened after about a week from birth. There is no such thing as a floppy eared pygmy so they aren't purebreds if they're older than 3 weeks and have floppy ears. Pictures would help.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Folded ears and flopped ears look alot different....pb pygmies as well as nigerians have erect shorter ears, folded ears on kids will straighten out within a few hours to a few days.....but they should not droop.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Ditto what everyone else says.

7. Meadowlark

Meadowlark New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    To me, these ears look nubianish or boerish. They are the heavy floppy ears. They stand out from the head some, and then hang right down. A lot more ear than my pygmys. Just makes me think they are crossed with something else.

How tall is a pygmy suppose to be at the shoulders? I forget.

Thanks
    Meadowlark

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i thik minimum height is like 16" but it's been years since i'v ehad them

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Those kids are definately crosses. Pygmy standard is 16-23 inches at the shoulder as adults.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep, most suredly a cross. Probably some nubian in there....

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't think their is a minimum height requirement. Bucks, max should be 23 1/2 and does, 22 1/2.

Unless I have papers in hand and can see their pedigree, I wouldn't trust that they'd be purebred. I guess even with papers, you can't. If only everyone could just be honest. :sigh:

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    when i had npga pygimes the minimum height was 16 inches

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    according to the npga website's breed standard found here http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/con ... andard.pdf there is a minimum height requirement. This I was not aware of, I wonder if it is new since I did hear that they were trying to stear away from the mini pygmy which tend to have birthing problems

The breed standard says revised June 2007