·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E2430FFE-DA6C-41FD-9216-D1497C978038.jpeg
61DDCFD9-D14B-42B3-A6B0-9DE551E8B1C3.jpeg
61DDCFD9-D14B-42B3-A6B0-9DE551E8B1C3.jpeg
Hello,

I have a 2 1/2 week old female Nigerian Dwarf Goat (Pet/bottle baby) who has been to the vet for diarrhea, not eating, weakness and lethargy and he prescribed her meds for Coccidia and de-wormer. First he injected her with B-Complex and Thiamine just in case of Goat Polio (she had a reaction to the Thiamine and went into anaphylactic shock and had to be administered epinephrine, oxygen and IV fluids to save her). I read up on Floppy Kid Syndrome (which he never mentioned) because after the visit, she continued to get weaker and could barely stand, her little body just wouldn't work and she wouldn't eat. I went to TSC and bought Selenium/Vitamin E gel and gave her some and she's been on Vitamins/electrolytes, ProBios, molasses,Pedialyte and Pepto Bismol. I still have her on the Coccidia and de-wormer, as well. My other baby is very healthy, same age (not related) but she is on the 2 meds just in case and ProBios. My sick baby girl has gotten a little stronger since I gave her the gel yesterday. I know too much Selenium can cause toxicity so I was careful. My question is, she is walking now and running some but still seems very weak. Is that normal and should I give her another dose of the gel? Thank you! I'm new to all of this and I am so worried trying to save this babies life!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
you should ask the vet for BoSe it is a selenium injection that is stronger than the gel and really helps. it is much more potent and the dosage i give is 1/2 cc for kids
@mariarose is the mineral expert and should be able to help you

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you should ask the vet for BoSe it is a selenium injection that is stronger than the gel and really helps. it is much more potent and the dosage i give is 1/2 cc for kids
@mariarose is the mineral expert and should be able to help you
Thank you! Another lady said to give her something called Multimin. Is that good too?

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
If she is improving, it may of been cocci and/or worms bringing her down.
Keep up treatment and make sure you follow up 10 days later on worming her. I'd do it 3 x 10 days apart.
Is she anemic? Is so, she may need red cell (iron).
What kind of wormer was used? Was it given orally?

I don't see her as having a reaction to thiamine or vit B.
It is a vitamin. Seems odd. Goats need thiamine.
Some goats react to the shot itself and some collapse.
Then you get them up and they shake it off.
What was her total reaction?

What is her temp?

If you suspect floppy kid treat for it, especially if she gets weaker.

You will have to get some milk into her, that may be another reason she is getting weak.

Are you using powdered milk?
If so, change to cows whole milk from the store.
Easier on the gut. It can cause scours.

Did they do a fecal on the kid to determine worms and cocci or just guess?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I think she's too young for this to have started out as Floppy Kid Syndrome. But other people here know more than I.

First thing is to keep her warm, because she may be having trouble regulating her temperature. I'd give her more B-Complex, orally because she's so young, and I'd give her more of the Selenium gel that you already have, and I'd give her some flat, I do mean FLAT dark beer. No bubbles at all.

Make sure she keeps eating off of mom, and pees and poops, and as I said, stays warm.

Reactions: Adelle

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
mariarose is the mineral expert and should be able to help you
Thank you, but no. I was a lot more of an expert when I was a lot more ignorant. Now I'm someone who knows she'll never completely understand something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If she is improving, it may of been cocci and/or worms bringing her down.
Keep up treatment and make sure you follow up 10 days later on worming her. I'd do it 3 x 10 days apart.
Is she anemic? Is so, she may need red cell (iron).
What kind of wormer was used? Was it given orally?

I don't see her as having a reaction to thiamine or vit B.
It is a vitamin. Seems odd. Goats need thiamine.
Some goats react to the shot itself and some collapse.
Then you get them up and they shake it off.
What was her total reaction?

What is her temp?

If you suspect floppy kid treat for it, especially if she gets weaker.

You will have to get some milk into her, that may be another reason she is getting weak.

Are you using powdered milk?
If so, change to cows whole milk from the store.
Easier on the gut. It can cause scours.

Did they do a fecal on the kid to determine worms and cocci or just guess?
She is an indoor pet, so she's been on Unimilk, vitamins & electrolytes, some Pedialyte , molasses and Pepto Bismol. Also sulfadimethoxine for Coccidia and Panacur for possible worms. Her temp has been normal. Someone told me to switch milk replacer to Doe's Match. Vet did not do a fecal exam, just assumed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think she's too young for this to have started out as Floppy Kid Syndrome. But other people here know more than I.

First thing is to keep her warm, because she may be having trouble regulating her temperature. I'd give her more B-Complex, orally because she's so young, and I'd give her more of the Selenium gel that you already have, and I'd give her some flat, I do mean FLAT dark beer. No bubbles at all.

Make sure she keeps eating off of mom, and pees and poops, and as I said, stays warm.
She is a bottle baby that I bought, so I'm the mom. I bought another one with a different mom and she is thriving. They are the same age, Burn one day apart. They both pee and poop A LOT. Wearing diapers. Some diarrhea, maybe it's the milk replacer? I gave her another dose of the Selenium/Vitamin E gel. Someone said to switch her to Doe's Match milk replacer. What does flat, dark beer do? Thank you!!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Somehow I missed that she was on replacer. I'd give whole cow's milk from the store. That's what could be causing the diarhea. I'd take her off the Pepto soon as you can.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I just saw someone else talking to my vet with similar symptoms who was feeding Unimilk. Vet told them to get the kid off that stuff and give them whole milk, preferably goat, but cow will do better than Unimilk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just saw someone else talking to my vet with similar symptoms who was feeding Unimilk. Vet told them to get the kid off that stuff and give them whole milk, preferably goat, but cow will do better than Unimilk.
Yes I just picked up Doe's Match. Someone told me it's the best. Unimilk is horrible! I had no idea! Thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

They both lay in front of a space heater in the living room during the day. My sick one mostly, she whines if it's not on.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Yes I just picked up Doe's Match. Someone told me it's the best. Unimilk is horrible! I had no idea! Thank you!
If you are going to use a.milk replacer, that is best one. We have only had bottle babies and whole milk from store seemed to be better than the Doe's Match, as far as diarreah or scours. Milk was also easier, no mixing.
Welcome to the forum!
That is a cute, airplane eared doeling!

·
Registered
234 Posts
My vet recommended Doe's Match but I read these threads daily and experienced goat owners are weighing in with Whole milk from the store. I defer to the people on this site who have successfully bottle fed more than I have. I found that DuMore's and Doe's Match both caused slimy yellow poop, not diarrhea. IMO abnormal poop indicates the formula is not easily digested. The kids I raised on milk replacer thrived and I still own both of them, obviously better than starving. I think it's incredibly expensive to buy the replacer so why not use something most families buy anyway. Also, there is a recipe I've seen on here that's a mixture of milks. I'm sure someone will give it to you if you ask. You may have to start a new thread.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts