Floss for umbilical cord?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by MissMiniNubian, Jan 27, 2021.

1. MissMiniNubian

MissMiniNubian Active Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Orange, California
    I read that some people use floss to tie off the umbilical cord. Is that recommended? I also know of one person who doesn’t do anything to it and just breaks it off a few inches from the body. I don’t want to use the clips because I thought they can maybe fall off or be uncomfortable. I also know that the mama should and usually takes care of the cord. Any advice?

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I was taught in advanced first aid to never use floss on umbilical cords of any species. If a goat cord needs tied I use a shepherd's knot. If I were ever to have to deliver a human baby, I'd do the same thing.

3. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    My wife uses floss i do not. we have had this discussion many times some of them have been heated.
    I am a naturalist and try to mimic nature, i trim and dip the cord and that is all i do. some times i don't get there tell late and don't even do that, Remember i have 300 ewes and 50 goats birthing all at the same time.

4. MissMiniNubian

MissMiniNubian Active Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Orange, California
    Good to know, thanks!

goathiker likes this.
  5. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I also just dip the cord in iodine A couple times but I also dip the feet. Dental floss is too thin and can actually cut through the cord too close to the body if tied too high then you have a bigger problem with no way to repair it except sutures, at that point you’d need a vet.

goatblessings and goathiker like this.
  6. goathiker

Shepherd's knot

20210127_211459.jpg 20210127_211459.jpg

Attached Files:

7. yankeedoodle

yankeedoodle Active Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Fraser Valley,B.C.
    Never tied it or nothing. just dipped em in iodine and off to the races! Mind you, if it was summer and you were in a real hot area you might have to watch for fly strike.

8. goathiker

In 30 years I've had 3 or 4 kids born that bled badly when the cord broke. They just hadn't quite closed yet. This is where you use a knot, not every time for sure, just when necessary.

MissMiniNubian and GoofyGoat like this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Thanks for showing the knot..I've only had a couple bleeders. Baling twine dipped in iodine once and a hair clip the other!

10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Please don't post in multiple areas, it gets confusing..... this is a kidding thread..... good luck with him

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have never had to tie a cord off. I had a few super thick and bleeding cords that I dipped every hour or so until it dried up. I like Goathikers knot idea better than floss or clips.

GoofyGoat and MissMiniNubian like this.