The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You know what....Saanens are white and Nubians come in lots of colors....so really, they could be a mix of anything!! 😂😁 Did the farm you got them from have any small goats - knee high or even a little taller? How old are they and about how much do they weigh? Trying to figure out if they are full sized or if they have any mini breed mixed in them..... I know it doesn't really matter, but I hate not know the answers to something! 🙃😄
I got them from an Amish family that my mother’s husband knows. They had a lot of tall and medium goats in the herd my mom’s husband had here for a couple months. Several of them could stand walk under the trampoline. I have some pictures here. The tricolor one we called “Curly” because her horns looked like curly-q’s, and Flower’s mom (she had one horn that looked like a combover haha). They were both full grown. More than 3 years old, I think. So really, they were actually born May 25. So they will be 6 months soon; they weigh between 50 - 60 lbs. They were underweight for a long while. And just for fun… a picture of 4 week old Flower!
Working animal Wood Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal

Mammal Grass Plant Dog breed Working animal

Grass Rectangle Terrestrial animal Working animal Livestock

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You know what....Saanens are white and Nubians come in lots of colors....so really, they could be a mix of anything!! 😂😁 Did the farm you got them from have any small goats - knee high or even a little taller? How old are they and about how much do they weigh? Trying to figure out if they are full sized or if they have any mini breed mixed in them..... I know it doesn't really matter, but I hate not know the answers to something! 🙃😄
I also hate not knowing answers for things! It drives me nuts! Hahaha 😆

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
2,150 Posts
Oh goodness Flower is too cute!

I honestly have no idea on the breeds now! Both dams do seem a bit smaller so I'm assuming there is some ND and/or Pygmy mixed in them. Curly has the colors of an Ober, but NDs can also be that color too. And who knows what their daddy(s) look like! I think you just have some very cute, barnyard mixes! It's really anyone's guess! Wonder if you can do a DNA test like you can for dogs.....? 😁🤔😅

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that your boys sound like a really healthy weight for their age - they will probably mature into a medium/large size.

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Oh goodness Flower is too cute!

I honestly have no idea on the breeds now! Both dams do seem a bit smaller so I'm assuming there is some ND and/or Pygmy mixed in them. Curly has the colors of an Ober, but NDs can also be that color too. And who knows what their daddy(s) look like! I think you just have some very cute, barnyard mixes! It's really anyone's guess! Wonder if you can do a DNA test like you can for dogs.....? 😁🤔😅
Wait - they can be pregnant from two different bucks? I was clueless about that! I looked it up and went WHAAAAAT? So Flower and Snow can have different dads! I know one of their bucks was a short guy, but I don’t know about the other. They have zero clue about the breeds haha. I’m going to see if there is a way to test for breeds! I wish I had pictures of Snow as a baby - he would not let anyone near him at that point. Mama let me do whatever I wanted with Flower, but Snow took a LOT of trust building.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Wait - they can be pregnant from two different bucks? I was clueless about that! I looked it up and went WHAAAAAT? So Flower and Snow can have different dads! I know one of their bucks was a short guy, but I don’t know about the other. They have zero clue about the breeds haha. I’m going to see if there is a way to test for breeds! I wish I had pictures of Snow as a baby - he would not let anyone near him at that point. Mama let me do whatever I wanted with Flower, but Snow took a LOT of trust building.
Yes, a doe can be bred by two different bucks, but if a doe only has one kid, then the kid would only have one sire. If a doe was bred by two bucks and had twins, there's a possibility of them each having a different sire....I believe that's how it works anyways....

Flower and Snow have different moms, right? If so, and there was two bucks running with the does, then there is a chance of them have a different dad from each other.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes, a doe can be bred by two different bucks, but if a doe only has one kid, then the kid would only have one sire. If a doe was bred by two bucks and had twins, there's a possibility of them each having a different sire....I believe that's how it works anyways....

Flower and Snow have different moms, right? If so, and there was two bucks running with the does, then there is a chance of them have a different dad from each other.
They have the same mom. I mean, she didn’t take care of them well to begin with, but I wonder if it was just because she didn’t like being suckled, or if she had low milk production, or maybe she was sick the whole time they were growing for the month or so they had her.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
They have the same mom. I mean, she didn’t take care of them well to begin with, but I wonder if it was just because she didn’t like being suckled, or if she had low milk production, or maybe she was sick the whole time they were growing for the month or so they had her.
Okay, for some reason I thought they had different dams. 🤪 So yes, there is a possibility of them having different sires! Crazy how that works!! I believe the same goes for dogs and cats!! 😳😅

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Okay, for some reason I thought they had different dams. 🤪 So yes, there is a possibility of them having different sires! Crazy how that works!! I believe the same goes for dogs and cats!! 😳😅
It’s nuts! But, they are doing well. Their first winter and so far, so good. Snow has “turd” poop again that’s just a LITTLE soft, so tummy tamer is on the menu today haha. It seems like they are happy and content, so I’ll keep doing all the stuff I need to! The little buggers are so cute and have such personalities - even if it’s cold out I’ll go out there just to hang with them and watch them play 🙂

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
That's good to hear! Goats really do know how to steal our hearts! 🥰

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My bet is that they are not full Alpine and have some Nigerian Dwarf and/or Pygmy mixed into them. Alpines can't be black or white, but NDs and Pygmies can! Either way, they are so cute and sound like awesome pets! 😁
I found out one of the sires used was ND! Could have been their dad, or one of them lol

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
These boys! They sure gave me a run for my money in the beginning, but man, I’m in love with these little brats! They are 6 months old as of November 6. They are spoiled, but it’s ok. As you can see by the mineral feeder on the floor, they are mischievous - they jumped up and knocked it right off the wall. At least I know to secure it better 😂 View attachment 215763
View attachment 215762
View attachment 215761
View attachment 215760
How do I post a video for you all? It’s so cute!

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Share it on you tube then copy the link and past here that's the way I know
Aw, man. I hate putting stuff up on YouTube 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ll do it though if it’s the only way ☺

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
These boys! They sure gave me a run for my money in the beginning, but man, I’m in love with these little brats! They are 6 months old as of November 6. They are spoiled, but it’s ok. As you can see by the mineral feeder on the floor, they are mischievous - they jumped up and knocked it right off the wall. At least I know to secure it better 😂 View attachment 215763
View attachment 215762
View attachment 215761
View attachment 215760
Some videos!

• Love

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Aww! What adorable babies! You know they are happy when they bounce like that. :love:

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Aww! What adorable babies! You know they are happy when they bounce like that. :love:
That really means they are happy? Omg that makes my heart want to burst (in a good way). They do that when I’m out there with them and that makes ME happy! ♥

21 - 40 of 47 Posts