Floyd

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by keren, Apr 2, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Floyd is a galah who was hit by a car as a fledgeling (sp?) out the front of my house, about a year ago, maybe a touch longer.

He had one wing pretty messed up, and a bloody chest too. I cleaned him up and put him in a very small cage so he couldnt move around much, kept him in a dark room, put him on antibiotics. It was tough getting him to eat, he wouldnt take chick mash or seed or even soaked seed. In the end, he couldnt resist rolled oats. That got him going. He stayed that way for about 6 wks, after which I brought the cage out into the rest of the house so he would get used to lots of people.

When the wing looked better I transferred him to a bigger cage. The wing was shorter than the other but seemed to have healed up well, quite a bit of scar tissue there but it seemed strong. He seemed to sort of be able to fly/glide a bit. He was getting very tame and quiet.

His cage was next to Anna's pen and she would stick her head out and he would stick his head out and groom her all over her nose, she would groom him as well. Never did get a pic but that was one weird couple, a bird and a goat.

He was just starting to talk a bit, mainly just saying hello when we would go in to milk Anna morning and night.

I just went out to the shed now to put something away and his cage was empty. There was a fair bit of wind and it had created a bit of a hole at the top of the cage. I figure he must have got out there.

I just really hope that his wing is holding up, that he is able to fly away properly and not just walking around, easy prey for a dog, cat or fox. And I hope he hasnt become too domesticated, and hope that he can find his own food. I left the cage door wide open and put fresh seed out, in case he happens to be around and hungry. I just saw a flock of galahs fly past my window now, I'll keep an eye out for him, I think he'll be easy to spot because of the shorter wing.

I just hope he's out there flying around and having fun.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I am sorry to hear that - I hope he returns or is safe out in the wild

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hope that Floyd will be OK...I will pray for Floyd..... :pray:

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    That is very nice you took care of him, I am sure he appreciated it...and is OK... :hug:

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well this story hasnt got a good ending.

A few minutes after I posted this morning, I went out the front to shift the portable pen that I've had on the front lawn, for the goats to mow the lawn for me.

Pink feathers all over the lawn.

I rang mum and she said, last night there was a noise and she looked out, and there was a galah near the tap out the back, and she thought at the time, wow that bird seems pretty tame, but she didnt put two and two together until I said that the cage was empty this morning.

So we think that he got out of the cage last night, walked around, obviously couldnt fly (I wasnt sure if he could fly properly or not) and because he couldnt get away properly, either one of my two cats or the neighbours dog must have caught him.

:tears:

Poor Floyd.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Keren I am so sorry :( :hug:

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I am so so sorry. :tears: I hate when that happens. But at least you took good care of him. :grouphug:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry. At leat you gae him a very loving home for a while. :hug:

9. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    So sorry about Floyd!