The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 mo old doe will be gaining weight great then bam! It's like overnight (no joke!!) she gets to looking skinny & it's like starting all over to get her nice & plump for the show ring. How can this happen so dang quick? Here's her 411:
Dewormed recently w/ Valbazon & has nice pink eyelids
Poop is very healthy looking & shiny
Fed Purina Impulse w/ bull rations & boss added. Always keeping food in front of her.
Been giving calf manna for few weeks.
Fresh cold water everyday
Gave big dose of probios when I dewormed.
Give her a shot of bcomplex about once a month

Is it her rumen causing such a drastic fluctuation? I'm stumped!

·
14,615 Posts
Sounds like you are on top of everything, could she be going through a growth spurt?
My 6 mo olds are suddenly not eating as much grain & the buck only nibbles, it could be the weather too.

·
1,384 Posts
can you explain it a little more. like she stays on feed just fine? are you sure she is eating a regular amount each day?
How long is it taking you to put the weight/fullness back on her?

Does she get any hay or browse?

calf manna can be over done and give them too much protein. Something to think about.

·
1,384 Posts
But this doe is 6 months old, and calf manna is 25% protein, that is way above what a 6 month old should be getting. We top dress with a 30% protein ontop a 16.5% goat feed and we do have some problems with bloat and stomach problems if we get carried away with the 30% top dress. Just was talking to someone else also having problems with some scours. But is was just a thought.
Kids from 0 to like 8 or 12 weeks can handle a 20% protein, but the older they get their protein requirements do go way down.

You said you wormed her, but what about coccidiosis or something like tapeworms bothering her?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She stays on her feed fine. I have started locking her up & her companion goat in barn to finish 3 gallons of feed. Then they get let out to pasture. When the trough is empty I pour more in for them to come back to.It had taken me a couple months to get her plumped up the last time she did this. She gets free choice browse.

·
1,384 Posts
I would worm her more or do a couple fecals on her, especially when she drops the weight.

Tapeworms need a white wormer
coccidiosis needs to be treated for 5 days in a row with a specific medication/treatment

you mentioned worming her, what do you use? what is your schedule with her?

·
1,384 Posts
you can use Corid, sulfa-dimethoxine, albone(I think that is from a vet), sulmet, and treat for 5 days at the treatment level on the package. They will come in already mixed liquid form or powder form. I find powder form to be cheaper to buy.
ivermectin is okay, but it wont treat tapeworms, or liver flukes. Can't tell were you are from. But Southern states are in the liver fluke regions. Honestly, I think VAlbazen is a good choice for you to try. a bottle is like $40.00 and it goes a long ways. you can do 1 cc per 20 lbs for 3 days in a row, I see some are suggesting 1 cc per 10 lbs every 10 days for 3 treatments. But pretty much what it amounts to is we are all agreeing your problem is probably worms at this point.

Lots of people treat for coccidiosis on a regular basis. I can tell mine will perk up after treating. And it has been a very wormy spring and summer for many folks.

and you could still give her the ivermectin, to really cover all the basis.

·
1,384 Posts
After doing a lot of wormer, don't forget the probios to help her rumen get on track.
Nancy has a great suggestion, that when needing smaller dosages or just a couple dosages getting some from your vet is a good idea.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Called the vet this morning about dewormer. They said that the worms are really tough to treat in our area & that they are finding that they have better results w/ cydectin vs valbozen. So much so that they decided to not keep valbazen in stock. Quoted me 25 cents a cc. $15 for the fecal.
Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
Do the fecal first and make sure they also include testing for coccidia. I would be making sure of what I'm treating before just throwing wormer at them. Won't help at all if you are giving the wrong wormer.

·
1,384 Posts
biggest thought is if it is liver flukes cydectin wont help at all, if it is barberpole worms, valbazen might not help much. I would ask your vet about this. If they can tell the difference in the fecal between the two eggs? 15 cc per cc sounds fair. it is like $69.00 for a small bottle of cydectin pour on . which cydectin was he talking about. There is sheep drench, pour on for cattle and injectable, all can be given orally. Or did he want you to give the cydectin injectable as an injection? Things to ask and think about.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They found one little coccidia and 2 little worms (can't remember which off top of my head) so will go ahead & treat for coccidia & deworm. Hopefully this takes care of her fluctuating weight. She was fat as a tick yesterday, today not so much :/ Grrr!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts