The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a young wether sick, and very anemic for about four days now. Ive been able to hold the sub normal temp from dropping but now the fluid in his lungs is creating a problem I cannot fix any help would be great. he was eating and drinking just fine yesterday but today he is chewing his cud but not drinking water.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Sounds like it is time for the vet. You probably need something like Draxxin at this point which is vet Rx.

I believe Tylan 200 is the over the counter but you will have to search on here for dosage.

What all exactly have you done for him so far?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hes been through a lot first I dewormed him and started red cell treatment with b12 as well I have given him 1/2 cc of draxxin but haven't today also I gave the b12 orally but I was thinking maybe a shot of it tonight maybe another shot of draxxin?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he's having a hard time breathing it seems as if every breath is a struggle but he still is crying every once and a while

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hes only like 25 pounds I gave him draxxin 2 days ago the vet didn't give me a description of treatment with the draxxin just 1cc for 100#

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Draxxin is dosed at 1cc per 100 lbs around me and given once every 7 days. So I wouldn't give any more Draxxin at this point.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Has he been peeing and pooping?

How was his health before this?

What did you worm him with and at what dosage?

Have you given him any Bamamine or Dex?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
his nose is runny and his eyes color is still white I can provide more vitamins but just seems as if this fluid in his lungs is whats the biggest issue at the moment is there anything I can do you think? and yes hes peeing and hes pooping normal pellets

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hes been weak for awhile he hasn't be able to walk in two days and hasn't held his head up since yesterday and I wormed him with cydectin and it was a 1/2 cc I would have to wake the wife up to ask how much she gave and I don't think I have banamine

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Something else is going on. It doesn't make sense that the Draxxin isn't working. I think his lungs are filling with fluid for another reason than pneumonia.

Did he have a very heavy wormload or something?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
He may have aspirated anything you gave him orally. I would look and see if you have any Banamine or Dexemethasone. Either could help with inflammation in the lungs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes we have lost three goats in the last 2 weeks we had a vet here trying to help but he wasn't much help so im doing it myself the vet had no clue how to use b12 and b1 when we did what the vet said to do my goats were gone in three days well ive kept this one alive since the 14th I don't have either should I wake a vet up to provide these things?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
What, in detail, has been going on? Did you ever have fecals done? What were their temps? What has been part of their diet?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well at first he was walking on just his front legs but would stand and walk around if you picked him up, then he couldn't stand on his own unless you picked him up, then he couldn't stand at all but could still pick his head up, now he cant do anything but lay there lifeless, when he showed signs his temp was fine yesterday he had a sub normal temp so I put him in a bath not getting him wet and it went up to 98 I placed him under a heat lamp and it has stayed in the 98's, and he has been able to eat and drink re-sorb water until today

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Were the first symptoms not being able to walk on back legs?

Was this the first symptom of the other ones?

Do you have white tail deer in your area?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I would prop him up..use rolled towels or blankets..get him up on his chest...his head laying is fine but his body needs to be up..not laying flat...what you might be hearing in his lungs could be from his rumen shuting down,this would cause sub temps..you need to get him warmer then 98...Heating pads, heaters, A blanket tent and warm the are around him..rub and stimulate him, makehim mad....if you have cd antitoxin..give him a large dose...if not Milk of magnesia can help 15 cc per 60#..Fortied B complex or B 1 given just under the skin..Probios to help restore flora in his gut..1/2 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench..( if you use M.O.M, no need to baking soda)...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he was walking on his knees of his front legs, and the other goats had signs of worms, diarrhea and anemia but what we have done in the past was just deworm and keep hydrated (that was the vet recommendation) we have white tail deer but my goats are on a dry lot system with nothing to browse since we where having such a hard time with worms, I've been only doing goats for 4 months

1 - 20 of 44 Posts