The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Recently, I’ve had a lot of goat problems. Most of these problems stemmed from worms. After many people suggested the parasite formula from Land of Havilah, I instantly started noticing how well it worked.
However,I have a goat that I am worried about. I just got her about a year ago from my aunt, who neglected her greatly. I have been feeding her plenty of alfalfa pellets, but she needs something more.
So, I am here to ask what everyone think of flushing...
Should I flush her? She is super skinny and could definitely put on weight.
And if I should, then how will I go about doing it?

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
If shes thin...I would want her at a good weight before breeding. It takes twice as long if not longer for them to regain weight lost..Flushing basically is adding extra calories in hopes of the doe dropping more eggs, for multiple kids. Work on getting her to a healthy weight then decide if you want to flush. You can add a quality 14 or 16% goat pellet to her alfalfa pellet daily ration. Look for healthy signs you are on the right track with her..such as glossy coat, good appetite, nice famacha ect. Im assuming she has free choice hay and quality loose minerals

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If shes thin...I would want her at a good weight before breeding. It takes twice as long if not longer for them to regain weight lost..Flushing basically is adding extra calories in hopes of the doe dropping more eggs, for multiple kids. Work on getting her to a healthy weight then decide if you want to flush. You can add a quality 14 or 16% goat pellet to her alfalfa pellet daily ration. Look for healthy signs you are on the right track with her..such as glossy coat, good appetite, nice famacha ect. Im assuming she has free choice hay and quality loose minerals
Oh I see. That makes sense. All the articles I have read have been very confusing as to what flushing really is exactly. And yes, she has free choice hay, plenty of land, and SweatLix Meat Maker for minerals.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you think of wheat germ oil?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,673 Posts
Sorry to answer a question that wasn't directed at me, but I really like wheat germ oil. I think it made a big difference in my thin doe's condition. It was just one of many things I tried for her, and I would say that it alone probably didn't make much of a difference, but it in addition to a better nutritional program, I think it had a big impact.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Yes^^^

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to answer a question that wasn't directed at me, but I really like wheat germ oil. I think it made a big difference in my thin doe's condition. It was just one of many things I tried for her, and I would say that it alone probably didn't make much of a difference, but it in addition to a better nutritional program, I think it had a big impact.
Oh yeah, that’s fine. Thanks for answering actually. 😊
Sounds awesome. I was planning on doing wheat germ oil for all of my does, but I don’t know a whole lot about it, so I’m going to have to do some research before I try it out.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,673 Posts
I have used Dyne too. My thin doe liked the taste of it and I think it helped her gain weight, but it didn't help with her coat condition at all. You can get any version of Dyne, even the one marketed for dogs, it's all the same product.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,869 Posts
I had a couple of thinner does (not terrible but a bit less than I like at breeding time). They were actually getting kicked out of the feed by the other girls. I'd see them eat but when I'd stand out there, they'd get kicked out often. So I fed them separately where I could keep the greedy girls out. I started giving grain (I only do that with milkers usually). Our grain is only fermented oats and boss. But I'd also top with calf manna. I'd also toss some 17% alfalfa pellets in there. I'd then try to put hay in multiple places so they had a chance to eat. It took about a week to notice subtle differences and a month or so for a good bit of weight to fill in.

Flushing is more for does that are in good condition ready to breed, but it is just a boost in nutrition (like I added calf manna a month before breeding to all my milkers on the stand and to the ones I'm breeding) to signal to their body that "hey, there's lots of good nutritious food....lets drop more eggs and have lots of babies" lol. If they weren't getting good feed to support them, they'd likely just have a lot of singles, but if they're well supported, they have multiples. That's the idea behind flushing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have used Dyne too. My thin doe liked the taste of it and I think it helped her gain weight, but it didn't help with her coat condition at all. You can get any version of Dyne, even the one marketed for dogs, it's all the same product.
Oh that’s awesome. Yes, my thin doe doesn’t have a really great coat right now either, but she is due for a copper bolus soon, so I don’t really know.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a couple of thinner does (not terrible but a bit less than I like at breeding time). They were actually getting kicked out of the feed by the other girls. I'd see them eat but when I'd stand out there, they'd get kicked out often. So I fed them separately where I could keep the greedy girls out. I started giving grain (I only do that with milkers usually). Our grain is only fermented oats and boss. But I'd also top with calf manna. I'd also toss some 17% alfalfa pellets in there. I'd then try to put hay in multiple places so they had a chance to eat. It took about a week to notice subtle differences and a month or so for a good bit of weight to fill in.

Flushing is more for does that are in good condition ready to breed, but it is just a boost in nutrition (like I added calf manna a month before breeding to all my milkers on the stand and to the ones I'm breeding) to signal to their body that "hey, there's lots of good nutritious food....lets drop more eggs and have lots of babies" lol. If they weren't getting good feed to support them, they'd likely just have a lot of singles, but if they're well supported, they have multiples. That's the idea behind flushing.
Oh that’s really good to know. The thin doe I am talking about is indeed getting kicked out and isn’t eating hay very often. I am milking her right now, and she is getting plenty of alfalfa pellets.
It’s horrible for me 😂. My unhealthy does are producing twins and triplets, while my healthy ones usually produce twins.
Thank you for telling me all this! I am writing a list of all the things I need to buy for my does, so getting all the info I can get is very helpful.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,869 Posts
Oh that’s really good to know. The thin doe I am talking about is indeed getting kicked out and isn’t eating hay very often. I am milking her right now, and she is getting plenty of alfalfa pellets.
It’s horrible for me 😂. My unhealthy does are producing twins and triplets, while my healthy ones usually produce twins.
Thank you for telling me all this! I am writing a list of all the things I need to buy for my does, so getting all the info I can get is very helpful.
Interesting. That's the theory behind flushing. Whether it works or not...IDK LOL. I just give a bit of calf manna right before breeding and for a little while after. Usually, only my FF have singles, although last year I had a FF have trips. I did have a doe have a huge single two years in a row, though it wasn't due to feed cause she is one of the greedy ones.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Dyne is good stuff. It has helped with coats on the animals I have used it on. The issue with dyne is they either love it and you can mix it in their grain or they hate it and it is such a pain to drench every single day. Not just the fighting to get it down them but it is so thick I usually have to mix with dark beer or rooster booster to get it down. I mean you could mix with water too lol but I figure if I’m going to fight with that animal to get something down then I’m not wasting it on water lol
This year I banded the kids market wethers late and between being large boys and the heat that came on fast they looked like crap. I didn’t want the kids stressing them out even more on drenching dyne so we just went with adding show bloom and calf manna into the mix. I have before pictures from almost a month ago and I’ll go out and get one now but OMG it has made a huge difference for them. They are punks and anything we use to try and give them minerals they break or dump but they still look better in condition and their healthier coats.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dyne is good stuff. It has helped with coats on the animals I have used it on. The issue with dyne is they either love it and you can mix it in their grain or they hate it and it is such a pain to drench every single day. Not just the fighting to get it down them but it is so thick I usually have to mix with dark beer or rooster booster to get it down. I mean you could mix with water too lol but I figure if I’m going to fight with that animal to get something down then I’m not wasting it on water lol
This year I banded the kids market wethers late and between being large boys and the heat that came on fast they looked like crap. I didn’t want the kids stressing them out even more on drenching dyne so we just went with adding show bloom and calf manna into the mix. I have before pictures from almost a month ago and I’ll go out and get one now but OMG it has made a huge difference for them. They are punks and anything we use to try and give them minerals they break or dump but they still look better in condition and their healthier coats.
Oh that’s really good to know. I’m definitely going to get dyne. I do have a doe or two that will probably not like it, but I have been drenching a ton of goats this year, so idc.
Oh yes, I would love to see pictures of the before and after of your goats’ health.
Thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts