The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Some of you may remember I purchased a c-section girl last year. The vet didn't say she couldn't get pregs.... while I think she did (confirmed with US) but then after a few months I noticed she expelled white stuff out her backside when I was chasing her around the barn. Assume she aborted due to infection.

Took her for an ultra sound a few days ago and she has gray matter - infection. I need to flush her but really don't care for the vet anymore.

In a few months I plan on giving her Lute wait 12 days and Lute again to help her try and move some of this out.

I asked the vet about flushing her and pretty much was given the 'come back to me' answer. That never flys with me.

So - I need help since I haven't really dealt with this. I typically flush with water and vinegar but feel meds might be needed?

Help? Flush ~48hrs after I lute her? and again the 2nd time?

:eek:

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I have never dealt with this either...Ill be watching to see what others say...I do think she should be on antibiotics if she miscarried and having issues..for her own protection..Penicillin 1 cc per 20# sub Q would be my choice..

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i absolutly agree that antibiotics are in order. and as far as flushing goes we used antibiotics and a uterine bolus. i'm not sure that a vinegar solution would cure the problem

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
For alpacas, we would put them on Penicillin. The regular that you would give twice a day to make sure the level stayed up and gave shots for 14 days (alpacas have a real problem with uterine infections). We would flush for 3 days in a row using 500cc sterile saline solution with 2-3 cc Betadine in it (cervix will need to be open to get into uterus). It should look like weak tea. If the vet felt like antibiotics should go in the saline solution, I can't remember which one she gave me. But we only did it for the first day and then the Betadine after that. Only do the Betadine for 3 days, no more.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
The one time I had to flush a doe with some antibiotics, my vet gave me a horse AI sheath (longer than a goat sheath) and told me to insert that into the uterus and then I had the solution in a syringe, put the end of the syringe on the end of the sheath and squirted it in there. The doe I did had just kidded so she was very open, you would want to Lute your doe and probably use a speculum so you can make sure you go into the cervix and not the bladder. When looking at the doe through a speculum the cervix kind of looks like a mulberry, I would assume with the infection it may be a little red so it should be easy to find.

·
Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone,
I'm going to an AI clinic later this month and that should help.

She is developing a small udder now. She did have a precocious (spelling ?) udder once I got her late last year and I tried a few things to correct it. Nothing worked so I figured it was def hormonal and I bred her. Udder cleared up. :cool:

Not 100% with the vet about her being open and I really wish she helped me to draw blood like I had orig. wanted.

I'm not going to breed her till Dec so she is on hold to see what happens. If I have no babies by Dec then I'll Lute and flush.:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts