The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use for fly control? I have goats, chickens and a dog outside so they get a bit heavy in the summer but have never had this many before! I'm using fly strips, traps and dumped horse.spray on the Goats. Any other suggestions?

·
1,524 Posts
Fly predators work great.

I have one of those automatic fly sprayers that mist every 15 minutes 24/7 set up in the doe pen.

Fly tape

Fly bait (put far away from any animals) I sprinkle it on the dog poop that gets picked up every morning. It goes in a bucket until the next day when I bag it for a trip to the dump. The bait goes on top of the ope bucket of poop. You should see the dead flies! On an average I have 2-3 INCHES of bodies on top of the poo!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I use fly predators. You get a pack of them sent to your house once a month and then you spread them out on your farm. They're suppose to eat fly larva, and when you order them you specify how much land you have, how many animals, and what kind of area you live in so you get just what you need. We've found them to be incredibly effective, and not too expensive.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I use predators, fly traps (the stinky kind, Captivator I believe), fly bait stations (MaxForce), and CV80 fly spray in the buildings. I have several feed lots to the south, north, and east of me so flies are a major problem. I have noticed that the girls don't have nearly as many flies on them since I started putting ACV in their water, however.

·
rdmtnfarms
760 Posts
I just bought Molly's herbal shoo fly. It works great for a spray. I plan on getting fly predators too.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
A friend of mine feeds powdered garlic to all her outside animals and she claims it helps. Her feed room smells like an Italian restaurant! I use powdered garlic on wounds. I spray them with Shriners oil and then coat that with a layer of garlic. Flies leave it completely alone and it heals really well. I would try feeding my goats garlic but haven't figured it how to get them to eat it! Ha ha.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
A friend of mine feeds powdered garlic to all her outside animals and she claims it helps. Her feed room smells like an Italian restaurant! I use powdered garlic on wounds. I spray them with Shriners oil and then coat that with a layer of garlic. Flies leave it completely alone and it heals really well. I would try feeding my goats garlic but haven't figured it how to get them to eat it! Ha ha.
That's really cool! I feed garlic to my horses and I do think it help keep ticks off them, but I've never heard of anyone giving it to goats yet! Or using it on goat wounds, that is very cool! Maybe I'll do a little more research on that now. :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sounds great! Thank you all for the suggestions. Would you suggest spreading DE in the barn?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Go for it.
With a topical repellent, I use UltraShield EX waterproof, sweat proof solution, it is scented with citronella, smells really good, keeps flies away and lasts about half a month or so.
Also kills and repells fleas and ticks, chiggers, etc.

Attachments

·
1,524 Posts
I used to make a spray for the horses, dogs and goats out of white vinegar, garlic, citronella and eucalyptus. It smelled pretty bad, maybe like an Italian restaurant under a Eucalyptus tree surrounded by a citrus grove? It worked, but it had to be reapplied often.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts