The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some fly predators this morning. I have heard good things but I have chickens that free range so any advice on using them with chickens would be great. Would u recommend putting some in an empty stall in the barn. That its where i have most of my problems

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have been using fly predators for about 6 years and love them. Your best bet is to put them out at night when your chickens go to roost. You want to spread them around - a little handful here and a little handful there. What I do is start at my goat pen, kick a little dirt aside, put a small amount down (like the equivalent to 1-2 tablespoons) and then cover them back up with the dirt, then I do the same by the chicken coop - my chickens are not free range (too many predators...) so I just put them outside the fence, then a little in the horse barn (about 1 tablespoon in the corner of each stall), a tablespoon or 2 in the areas of the field where the horses like to poop and the rest (maybe 1/2 a cup or so?) goes to the manure pile. The directions say to do different areas each month but to ALWAYS do the manure pile.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank u! The person that recommended them doesn't have a barn and didn't know how to answer my question. Here barns are optional for horses. I am pretty excited to see how much of a difference they make. I milk my goats and sometimes one fly can make a difference of a spilled bucket or not!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I wouldn't cover them up with dirt - could cause problems with them getting out from under it. When they arrive there will be directions on how to put them out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The directions that came with mine say to lightly cover them with dirt - they burrow into dirt/manure to get to the fly eggs anyway. By covering them lightly you protect them from birds and ants that like to eat them.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
That's interesting. Our directions never mentioned that. Thanks for pointing that out, I will have to double check the directions. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do you get yours from Spaulding? Or Arbico? I have used both but like Arbico better because , for one, their instructions are much more specific and, even better, if you ever see more than a few flies all you have to do is call them and they will send a "booster pack" at no extra cost.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't honestly know. We've been getting them for years and, aside from opening it so they start hatching, I don't pay any attention to the package. I'll have to look next time they come.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I use fly predators as well, but I havent really been using them appropriately according to the advice here-Thanks for the tips.
I do have fly traps out (the bag ones) and I swat in the morning and at evening feeding. I dont have a ton of flies but I was wondering if the fly traps are 'trapping' my predators as well? Any ideas?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I wouldn't think your fly traps are getting the predators, because the attractant used is specifically for flies. I don't honestly know, though. LuvmyGoaties, our predators are from Spaulding - we got a new package of them today. I will be sure and mention covering them lightly with dirt to Dad if he is the one who puts them out this time. Thanks!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
what are they???? never heard of em. I use sticky fly paper in the bails...lol. the goats thought they were delicious :eek::eek: fly's and all lol!! they even ate the cardboard roll,hahahahaha teejae

·
Registered
412 Posts
Fly predators are little insects - a little bigger than fruit fries - that lay their eggs in fly larvae, which kills the fly larvae, thus preventing the flies from hatching. Fly traps should be fine but I don't think you want to use any toxic fly chemicals, (fly sprays, feed through fly repelants etc) because ith they will kill the predators also. If you are constantly seeing flies when using predators you usually are either seeing "imports" (flies that came from neighboring properties, or you are not getting enough predators for you situation.

The other thing that I like about Arbico is that, so far, every year I have ordered from them they have had a special where if you order next year's predators before the end of the year you pay this year's prices. Also, depending how many months you order you get up to 4 booster packs sent to you.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ahh I see,we dont have those here.We are surrounded by cattle properties and last summer the Buffalo flies drove me crazy!! They didnt bother the goats though :confused: just the blood sucking March flies getting on their backs and udders while Im trying to milk :mad: I ended up spraying them with Aroguard(human repellant)for a bit of relief.We had had the hottest summer on record and the flies and Mozzies were awfull!! teejae

1 - 13 of 13 Posts