The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Certified Codger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found something that may not cure my fly problem, but it sure makes the fly problem more fun. My wife gave me a Bug-a-Salt gun for my birthday (yes, I still have them, even at my advanced age). It kills or disables flies without poison or toxic substances, no danger of damage to the goat shed or goats, and it's fun to use. It shoots ordinary table salt as ammunition, so it's not a threat to the environment.

My first victim this morning was a deer fly. Next was a red wasp, but she was not totally disabled. I was a little too far away when I shot the wasp, and it only knocked her senseless for about a minute. Plenty of time for me to have stomped her if I wasn't barefooted. Grasshoppers are armor-plated, so they're somewhat immune to the high-velocity salt.

http://bugasalt.com/

My wife ordered mine from Amazon.

I am not affiliated with Bug-a-Salt, nor do I make any profit from writing about it.

·
Certified Codger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you shoot rock salt out for the flying squirrels that eat all my chicken feed? (just kidding, Peta!)
No rock salt. Too big for the barrel of the gun. The table salt is only good for about 3 feet, beyond that it loses velocity quickly.

I've had best success with the bug zapper tennis racquet on wasps by waiting until nightfall or when it's cool enough for the wasps to be inactive. Then I sneak up and put the zapper up against the nest while holding the button. Of course that only works if the nest is accessible to the tennis racquet zapper. No workee in corners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.