The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Certified Codger
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found something that may not cure my fly problem, but it sure makes the fly problem more fun. My wife gave me a Bug-a-Salt gun for my birthday (yes, I still have them, even at my advanced age). It kills or disables flies without poison or toxic substances, no danger of damage to the goat shed or goats, and it's fun to use. It shoots ordinary table salt as ammunition, so it's not a threat to the environment.

My first victim this morning was a deer fly. Next was a red wasp, but she was not totally disabled. I was a little too far away when I shot the wasp, and it only knocked her senseless for about a minute. Plenty of time for me to have stomped her if I wasn't barefooted. Grasshoppers are armor-plated, so they're somewhat immune to the high-velocity salt.

http://bugasalt.com/

My wife ordered mine from Amazon.

I am not affiliated with Bug-a-Salt, nor do I make any profit from writing about it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
we keep a spray bottle full of water with a little dish soap, spray away, won't hurt anything but the insects. We take out large wasp nests with this, not as fast as Raid but it works and it smells good.

·
8,274 Posts
Can you shoot rock salt out for the flying squirrels that eat all my chicken feed? (just kidding, Peta!)

·
Registered
355 Posts
hahaa fun!! I have a plastic tennis racket that is a bug zapper, I've been killing wasps daily around their water troughs I get so excited to hear the *ZAP*

·
52 Posts
I have one of those tennis rackets too! I love it. I use it on the daddy long leg spiders too. ZAP

I'll have to try the dish soap on wasps idea - never heard that before.

·
Registered
355 Posts
yes, I was wanting to try the dish soap too but I think mine are radio active; they swim, get squished, and get buried to come out alive about an hour later

I doubt soap would work on my evolutionary wasps :mad:

·
Certified Codger
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you shoot rock salt out for the flying squirrels that eat all my chicken feed? (just kidding, Peta!)
No rock salt. Too big for the barrel of the gun. The table salt is only good for about 3 feet, beyond that it loses velocity quickly.

I've had best success with the bug zapper tennis racquet on wasps by waiting until nightfall or when it's cool enough for the wasps to be inactive. Then I sneak up and put the zapper up against the nest while holding the button. Of course that only works if the nest is accessible to the tennis racquet zapper. No workee in corners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts