The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with shipping a goat to their new home via airline? I have an out of state buyer that wants to buy my buckling. How does this usually work? Any tips you could give me would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I shipped several Bucklings to Alaska without any problems.

They have to be in a crate that they can stand up and not have to duck their head at all, has to have hay in the crate and water. I know that sounds dumbe becuase it will splash out. We had to attach the water dish to the gate, and put ice cubes in it. They ship in the cargo.

I also gave Calf calm to them to help relax them for the flight.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I shipped several Bucklings to Alaska without any problems.

They have to be in a crate that they can stand up and not have to duck their head at all, has to have hay in the crate and water. I know that sounds dumbe becuase it will splash out. We had to attach the water dish to the gate, and put ice cubes in it. They ship in the cargo.

I also gave Calf calm to them to help relax them for the flight.
What airlines did you use?
I actually am looking at buying one of goat song's goats & I'm in Florida... She's in Oregon.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
OH I was afraid I was going to be asked that. I believe it was United but I can not promise that. I will see if I can find it out. They were great by the way. I believe I was limited just becasue of where we were going. I believe you can check any airline and just call them.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
OH I was afraid I was going to be asked that. I believe it was United but I can not promise that. I will see if I can find it out. They were great by the way. I believe I was limited just becasue of where we were going. I believe you can check any airline and just call them.
Alright!!
Thank you!!!:) ill check with them:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I know Delta will ship livestock.

Sweetgoats: You make it seem pretty easy! So did you just put some hay off to one side in the crate? And then put wood shavings down or something else absorbent? Also, did you need a vet check-up before shipping? I feel so worried sending my little buckling on a plane :) I take it that the buyer is responsible for all fees related to shipping. My buckling would be 8-10 weeks when I shipped him. Is that too young? Is there a particular size crate that you usually use? Sorry for all the questions! This is all very new to me!

Oh, and I just saw that you are in CO! I would be shipping out of DIA. Any specifics you could give me would be great!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

Sweetgoats: You make it seem pretty easy! So did you just put some hay off to one side in the crate? And then put wood shavings down or something else absorbent? Also, did you need a vet check-up before shipping? I feel so worried sending my little buckling on a plane :) I take it that the buyer is responsible for all fees related to shipping. My buckling would be 8-10 weeks when I shipped him. Is that too young? Is there a particular size crate that you usually use? Sorry for all the questions! This is all very new to me!

Oh, and I just saw that you are in CO! I would be shipping out of DIA. Any specifics you could give me would be great!
Me too sweet goats. :)
But I can answer SOME of your questions:)
8-10 weeks is fine:)
You need a health certificate from the vet.
As for the size of crate, as long as they have about 2-3 inches above their head while STANDING UP, that's good. Nothing smaller:)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I have heard tons of great stuff about Delta!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
From what I have heard ;)

I am planning in using it When I ship kids in or out...

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts

Yes I did fly them from DIA. The weird part was you have to teke them to the Cargo area, not the regular place.

I just put straw down good and thinck for them so they are confortable, and a good half a leaf of hay for them to eat.

Here is a list I got from the airline. Oh we flew Continental AirLines.

1. Livestock can only ship from Denver (DEN). Not Colorado Springs
2. Each livestock cannot be exceed 55 pounds. This includes crate, food, & water. Ours did you just pay extra for it.
3. Need health certificate at departure.
4. Crate must allow livestock to stand, sit, & turn around without having to duck.
Make sure you get one that will fit, outs was a little I mean little to short and I have to buy one from the Airlines. It was about double the price at Wal-Mart.
5. Crate must have fixed water & food inside the container.
6. Livestock must arrive 90 minutes prior to departure.
Like I said I either Gave Calf Calm to calm them down or rescue remedy before I left them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much do you think a 8-week Nubian and its carrier would weigh? Maybe 40 lbs for the goat and 30 lbs for the carrier? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I've been told total about $300-$500 but it probably depends. It's a lot but probably cheaper and easier than driving across the country!

·
8,394 Posts
If it is really hot weather, or too cold, they will not allow animals to be shipped. I guess because they have to sit on the tarmack until they are loaded. (My guess, not real sure the reason)
I also wouldn't clip him as it can get pretty chilly in the cargo hold. It is pressurized, but not heated. In the past, I have shipped puppies and we always piled in the rags and blankets for them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, I know about the temp restriction. It can't be hotter than 84 F in either city. They said the way they get around the restriction is shipping late and night or very early in the morning.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
your vet has to write on the health certificate what temps he can travel in. Each airline may have their own restrictions BUT it still needs to be stated by your vet.

You cant prepay for your ticket because they have to weigh the crate and goat at the cargo check in and thats when you get your pricing.

I used AA and we put towels in the crate. I shipped a 10 month old buck for around 275-300 NJ to Washington State.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
How much do vet checks cost usually? Thinking about flying in a buckling next year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts