The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flys flys flys ughhh!!!

Does anyone have a fly sheet plan for goats????? Or anywhere that sells them.
I have a feeling someones going to call this stupid so if your going to just please dont comment! :) thank you.
I have a bad problem with my horse getting bitten (and bleeding from them) and I just want to protect my goats too
Iv tryed fly spray and just dosent work not as well as I want.
They have coats on sometimes in the winter and do fine with them so I know they would be ok with fly sheets.

show goat/lamb equipment
www.Facebook.com/wickedshowchains

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
We built our own flytrap like the cedar one in Karen's link. Use the right bait (we use fruit usually, but not sure what would work for horseflies) and it works like magic!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Can you tell me more on that trap? is the top solid, and the bottom of the cone open so they go up into the cone? I agree w/ karen what do you do with it when it's got a ton in there and a ton more out side??
I've used avon skin so soft on my animals, the problem is the cost if you have a lot.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Do you clean it out or just throw it out and build another?
There's a zipper around two sides of the top so we can clean it out.

Can you tell me more on that trap? is the top solid, and the bottom of the cone open so they go up into the cone? I agree w/ karen what do you do with it when it's got a ton in there and a ton more out side??
Yes, and correct. ;) The flies die within a day or two, and we clean it out before they build up too much. After the first couple days of use, fly population seemed to be reduced about 95%. I could hardly believe it. After that, it worked more slowly (probably because most of the flies were gone, lol). That was last year. I really need to put it up again this year; flies are getting bad again.

Frame is made of welded wire fencing and plain wire. Here's the shape of the window screen I cut out. I used a needle and thread to sew it together. Don't forget the zipper!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts