The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved my goats to a different area a few days ago and noticed my old nanny had the runs. I gave her some probiotic. Well yesterday evening she didn't come at feeding time,so I went to look for her. Her back end was covered in flies (dozens) and maggots (hundreds) and was real weak. I got her to the hose and washed her off and sprayed mouthwash all over her back end.
The flies are gone, but she continues to have maggots in her poop and they gather around her anus. I wash them off with peroxide and a few hours later there are more. The eggs are gone, so these are inside of her.
Any suggestions to kill them internally? I wormed her good with Ivomec. I was wondering if food grade diatomaceous earth in her food would work? Peroxide enema?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31,102 Posts
awe poor mama...I think the spray for screw worms would help...You could do a vinegar/water enema to clean her out..I dont think I would do peroxide...keep her clean and dry as possible. I would start her on Penicillin as well 1 cc per 20# 2 X day Sub Q..Be sure to pull back the plunger, see blood re adjust..no blood means good to go...
Keep her hydrated and offer her hay, alfalfa and green leaves..no feed until she is dry
C D Antitoxin is always a good idea with the runs..

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Emergency please help...My goat has a cold sore on his lip and we've been taking care of it and it's clearing up okay. But now he has major diarrhea and it also has this mucous like in it. I've bearly given him peptobismo and most of all he won't eat...AT ALL. I don't know if I should give him an IV just to get him hydrated. Please help.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Hi Karla, might help if you make your own thread if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Emergency please help...My goat has a cold sore on his lip and we've been taking care of it and it's clearing up okay. But now he has major diarrhea and it also has this mucous like in it. I've bearly given him peptobismo and most of all he won't eat...AT ALL. I don't know if I should give him an IV just to get him hydrated. Please help.
I would give him CD Antitoxin, or MOM. (That will help bind the toxins in his gut) I would also give him some pepto to sooth his tummy. I would also give probiotics as well. If he's not eating that is okay for right now, but he NEEDS to be drinking. Drench with electrolytes. He won't want to but you need to keep him hydrated. Also take a temp. I'm no expert by any means but that is what I would do first. Also, posting on a separate thread is probably best, but since you seemed a bit panicked I decided to jump in:)

·
Registered
31,102 Posts
Karla Janeen gave sound advice..do get his temp and also check him for anemia..when was he wormed last? What was used and how much?
If you dont have cd antitoxin and use Milk of magnesia..skip the pepto, dont use it together with MOM...MOM will flush his system and his stool will stay soft, this ok for a few days..as Janeen said keep his hydrated, hay alfalfa and green leaves only..no feed until he is up and going....you canalso give him 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench....best wishes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you all so much! I will keep in touch with how everything's going! And since I'm in FFA in school I gave them money for my animal and they brought me my goat from Oklahoma if I'm correct. So I honestly don't know how they would care for the goats. But I really appreciate all the advice you've all been providing for me!:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
My goats gums are white aswell:(
Then you need to get a fecal and worm her accordingly. If you can't get a fecal done soon, then I would worm with Valbalzon only if she isn't preggo, or with ivomec plus, it has been said on here that you can give to preggo does.. Both of those will cover a wide spectrum of worms...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Just noticed it was a him, so I would go with Valbalzon or ivomec plus.. You can give both orally if I'm not mistaken...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello there again. My goats feces is very gooey and it has what looks like blood. I'm very concerned:( For my first year in FFA this isn't the best experience... Life downs haven't even started and my goat is pretty much dying... Please help

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Hello there again. My goats feces is very gooey and it has what looks like blood. I'm very concerned:( For my first year in FFA this isn't the best experience... Life downs haven't even started and my goat is pretty much dying... Please help
Did you take his temp? I'm not sure what to do next other then call a vet... Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon...

·
Super Moderator
59,352 Posts
How old is your goat? It could be a big load of coccidia. You need to have a fecal done to include coccidia and find out.

·
Goat Momma
346 Posts
We had this happen back in jan. Keep the goat hydrated we gave ours watered down Gatorade. We gave her a shot of vitamin b bought from tractor supply. Also a 5 day coccidia treatment. 1 cc per 5 pounds the first day and 1 cc per 10 pounds the next 4 days we used sulmet from co-op, it's found in the chicken supplies but works for coccidia in goats. Or you can use albon dewormer. Do not use corid it has been known to cause the goat to become anemic(sp?) I would still contact your vet and have a fecal test done ASAP the cocci treatment won't hurt the goat even of it's not cocci. But this sounds exactly what happend to ours. She had diarrhea and then it turned to nothing but blood. She survived but it was a tough struggle we didn't think she would make it.

·
Registered
31,102 Posts
Hello there again. My goats feces is very gooey and it has what looks like blood. I'm very concerned For my first year in FFA this isn't the best experience... Life downs haven't even started and my goat is pretty much dying... Please help
Treat for Cocci...Sulmet or Demethox..1 cc per 5# day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5 Keep hydrated...B complex, no feed until he poops berries hay alfalfa and leaves only...Pepto to sooth his tummy and help dry his bum...Do try to get a fecal done to be sure other worms are not present as well...check his lower eye lids, they should be deep pink to red, Pale to white is anemic and he will need treatment for that as well, here is a electrolyte recipe for him

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone I just want to let you all know that my goat is no longer having stomach problems and is starting to eat again. At first he ate alot and now he'll eat a little. But he is starting be be more active. However since he lost major weight he weighs 46Lbs when he should wright between 75-120Ibs. But mostly I wanted to thank everyone for your advice and help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts