Foaling pic questions

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by kelebek, Apr 7, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok, so I took a few pics of the new mares's teats/bag and her cha cha. We have NO breed date on her, but you can see the foal moving in her tummy!!! It is so cute. There is no milk leaking, but she is "waxy" and her bag seems very tight to the touch.

Can all you horse people please take a peak and see what you think on when she might foal......

Thanks
    Allison

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii28 ... haCha2.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii28 ... haCha1.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii28 ... eTeats.jpg

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Allison, WOW it has been a log time since we had foals, but from the look of her, I believe you have a LITTLE bit more to go. She should get that waxy look, but the true sign is when she starts to drip her milk. Now like everything else in the world, they are not all alike, but about 99% of the times they will drip the milk first.

How exciting. I can not wait to see pictures.

On another forum one of the peoples horse had twins. That is almost NEVER heard of, and they were both alive. That is like a 1-100000 chance of happening.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Wow - I could NOT imagine her having twins! This is her first foaling from what the people could tell and from the little information they got when they rescued her.

I am excited - but SOOOO scared at the same time!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    No having twins is really really rare like i said, and she is not real big after I looked at her other pictures.
    It is a scary time, and it would be WONDERFUL if you were lucky enough to be present when she delivers, but like goats, they will do it when you turn your back. It is a amazing thing to watch, i mean those foals are SO big.
    Now MOST horses are not like goats, they do NOT want you in there right away, and since she is new to you, be very careful when you do go in after the baby is born. Make sure mom comes to see you and eats out of your hand and even then be very careful. I have seen horses charge and try to trample people because after all we are Predators to a horse. At least that how they look at us.

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Horses have ligaments just like goats that get soft when the babies getting ready to come- the mare kind of has a depression on either side of her tail head (the furry part not the hairy part.) Sometimes there will be restlessness and changes in friendliness. Mare generally like to go when people are not around so if you do foal watch, you need to make yourself inconspicious and don't disturb her. People have sworn to me that their mare can go out of labor if bothered. Foaling out in a safe, not recently used grassy paddock is actually cleanest for the baby and mom- one with some length of grass like 4" or so. Babies have a tendancy to roll under fences and such so you need to have safe fencing.

Having said all that- my last foal was shot out of the mare three weeks early in a dirty paddock and with the other girls standing around watching. The foal and placenta and afterbirth all shot out in one piece. !5 minute before that the mare had given me no sign of imminent birth. So there- like goats they all do their own way. No bag etc.

If you can, ask her former owners what her "style" is. Some mare leak milk for quite awhile- some have little bag at all. I can't see anything there that indicates a close birth but the tail head is the one that I like the most followed by the bag.

Have a bucket or bag ready to put the placenta in so the vet can check it over to see that it's all there- retained afterbirths are very dangerous for mares.

PS A picture of the whole udder and teats together is more helpful I think.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Looks like you will have a foal soon! :baby: :thumbup:

When my mini had her filly she didn't have any milk until about 12 hours before foaling. Then she had milk streaming out with every contraction.

I also know someone who had a horse that was pouring milk for 2-3 days before going into labor!

7. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    kelebek she looks like shes got awhile to wait. As she get closer she will look like the baby has disappeared her teats should fill out and they get mushy just like goats (grin)

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    This horse is a rescue, so we really have NO history on her, we believe she has never foaled before, and the worse part is is that she was pasture bred so we dont have any idea of when she was even bred.... the stallion was in with all the mares for some time!

Unfortunately we do not have a "grassy" area so to say, as we are still receiving snow, however, I do have a horse stall that once we are really sure she is fixin to go we can move her in there - or even over to our other 4 acre pen by herself so she is not disturbed. The fencing is burried into the ground and is 10 feet tall - so no one is getting in or out - LOL!

Thank you for all the help!

Allison

9. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    She looks like a maiden mare. Just be sure to avoid fescue other than that she should do fine.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What is fescue??

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Fescue is a grass hay that can have a fungus on it that creates toxins causing abortions- it's a thin bladed hay. But is she is close to foaling, I wouldn't think that you have to worry about that now.
    If she hasn't foaled previously, it is hard to tell what order things will go- sometime milk will not be apparent.
    If you can get a couple of pictures of the whole horse from the side and rear, it might help to see how far along she is- as mares carry for 11 months, you might have quite a wait if she's not far along.
    And a picture of the whole udder would be good. Are her teats waxed up yet?
    Sorry forgot you said re teats already.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I took pics of her last night, but forgot to upload them - darn it so I will do that when I get home tonight and post them.

I was talking with the person that I got her from and she thought for some reason that the "VET" that starved her had said that she was probobly bred in April or May - but again this is a vet that threw these animals in a pasture for 2 years and never touched them again - not even for hoof care!

Vernie is doing good - didn't really notice an increase in her bag development, but I am not trying to look every time I am out there either, as I will not be able to notice the changes - so I only try to look 2 times a day - 6:00 am and 6:00 pm ish.

Thanks all!

I am sooooo nervous! Never ever have I done this before!

OH - news just in!!! I bought the cutest little strawberry roan colored registered doe and all of a sudden she is uddering up. So the person that I bought her from called me and said - you know - I understand if you want to back out of the deal - but - ...... I said it wasn't a big deal and I still wanted her (the babies can not be registered - cause the sire is not) but it/they should be ADORABLE! Anyway, I talked to the lady today and she said well she is going to have to stay for a bit because her darn udder doubled over the weekend - aghhhh! SOOOO I am now on goatie kidding watch too! LOL!

13. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    Allison the fungus thats on fescue can cause a mare not to make enough milk and it causes the placenta to be too thick so much so that its to hard for a foal to break out of and if your not there to help they can suffocate. Its important to make sure she doesnt get any fescue during the last 3 months especially.

14. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Only have exp with one foaling. My mare was 21 yrs and had had several. Her teats did not leak. The vet showed us how to tell for udder edema, which was hard to know difference between that and udder of milk. If a dent remains after you press teh udder with your finger, then it is just swelling, edema, not milk. Our mare's whole underside had this, sort of like some women will have swolen ankles. What was teh que for me was that her tail head got very sloppy and loose. Just like your goat, but the mare was more visual. The closer she got the less resistance when you touch it. (that area above the tail.)
    Compared to my mare, looks like your has a ways to go, but my mare was old, yours looks young? We had a foal cam, which was very helpful!! She got VERY restless a few hours before she foaled, early am, everything was fine. :)
    I hope yours goes well!!!
    Oh, and with horses, the 'due' window is like a month long anyhow, lol.

15. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Hoping for a healthy single foal which should arrive soon!

16. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You should notice some "leaking" from the nipple...it will be very slow and will dry one drop on the next so that it looks like a "string" hanging off the end of the teat...not sure how to describe it. When that happens, it should only be 12-24 hours. But, I can almost guarantee that she will wait till you pull the car out of the drive before she foals. I missed every foaling, sometimes in the amount of time it took to walk to the mailbox! Good luck!

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh my gosh - thank you for the warning on Fescue!! I was just talking to the man that I bought pellets from and was going to purchase hay also and found out that there is a small amount of Fescue in the hay - which means it is in the pellets also. Do you think that the pellets will be ok or should I have her on something else till she foals?? I told him that I could not buy hay from him at the moment because of the fescue, but later I would. He is a great man - one of those "good ol boy" types where everything is done on a hand shake.

Thanks All!!!

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Allison,
    How is that mare coming along? Do you have a foal yet??
    Every time I drive past this farm on my way home form work, I think about you. They have three pregnant mares getting ready to foal anytime.

Keep us posted. :leap: