FOALPATROL - Mare due to foal any time

Discussion in 'Horses' started by HoosierShadow, Mar 8, 2020.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I thought I would share this link in case anyone wanted to see... This mare is a champion thoroughbred racehorse worth millions, bred to one of the leading stallions in the US, and is due any time. They thought she'd foal last night or this morning.
    She may be back outside right now, I'm not sure. I am unable to check video feed often, but thought it would be fun to share in case anyone wanted to watch or check in. Lots of info on her as well.

Her name is NEW MONEY HONEY - first foal and a lot of people are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the little one :)

https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/n...7M-PdIw3pkFA6bazx1JrTHdMPy5MeNGiW3v7Vyk2G5PPo

2. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Oooh, how exciting! I have been watching foaling cams(on Ustream, MareStare, and YouTube) for over 5 years now. I love watching the mares foal. Didn't know about Foal Patrol. Thank you for the link! Now I will be glued to my phone even more:lolgoat:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Cool, no idea they even had such a thing. (Online cameras). This is the sole site I look at, ever, on the computer! If TGS wasn't here, I would not even go online! Thanks for the foal cam info!

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Haha!!! Your guys are welcome! My horse racing friends are glued to their phones and computers waiting for their favorites. I'll have to find out what other mares have cameras. I may be wrong about this being her first foal, but seems like it is her first.

If you guys go to the menu, and look under Season 3 - Ashado foaled on March 6 and has an adorable filly. Ashado is an older mare who was champion 3 year old filly in 2004. Her filly is adorable, and there are videos under the live feed showing the birth.

Magical World has a foal.

Vaulcluse isn't due until 3/16 and it states her camera will go live tomorrow.

Alpine Sky and Emotional Kitten aren't due until late April.

Gunrunner, is a stallion, it says his camera won't go live until tomorrow morning. He is a champion, and such a beautiful & cool horse. He also lives about 3 miles away lol. Generally, the stallions are in during the day, and out at night, so that's why no feed in the evenings.

Mares are out all the time unless they are due to foal. Then when they foal they are generally out during the day and in at night.

6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
  7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    She's driving my horse friends crazy, their comments and posts are hilarious. So far they said she has done the opposite of other mares. The foaling people even had her tail wrapped last night thinking she'd foal lol

8. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Sounds like she's been talking to certain goats on this forum who were taking their sweet time! I know there is a colt, but is there a Mare "Code of Honor"?!

SandyNubians likes this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Mare code- Oh yeah! We used to have Tenn. Walking Horses. (The pleasure horses, not the show ones where they Sored the hooves to step high). This was before barn cams were reasonably priced. The mare would foal just as soon as the attendant walked away, confident nothing would happen for hours.

One year, I was the attendant! Nothing, and I swore I would not leave, didn't drink or eat so I wouldn't need to run to outhouse.(quit laughing!). Phone (land line, cells hadn't been invented yet) rang, the grandparents calling to see if anything had happened. I was gone 3 min. tops. Came back to a foal, live and getting a good licking from mom! That mate had 5 or 6 foals. No one ever saw it happen!

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Yep lol!!!

Oh wow that is crazy! I've never been in the barn for a live foaling, always a few minutes before or a few minutes after. Even when I worked on a farm years ago, I'd come in a little early or stay a little late, but nothing.
    My husband did foaling for years, so of course he thinks this delay is hilarious.

11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Hmmmm I can't see her in the paddock this morning, maybe she was kept in the stall

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Well... unfortunately, they made the decision to have her sent to the clinic to foal just in case there are any issues. Vet examined her this morning. It's not totally uncommon for mares to be sent to the clinics to foal. Updates will be in the blog for now. Praying for a smooth foaling and hopefully we'll have some live feed of mom and baby soon.

Update on New Money Honey
    New Money Honey
    March 10th, 2020
    After recent activity and signs of labor from New Money Honey, a veterinarian examined her this morning. Although she didn’t present serious issues, the manager at Indian Creek Farm has some concerns about her status. Therefore, with farm team support, she has been transported to a clinic in Kentucky for high-risk foaling management. The farm manager is still optimistic for a positive outcome but wants to be cautious. This decision was made so that if she needs more acute care or assistance with delivery, she will be in the right hands when foaling occurs. At this point, she will stay at the clinic for further monitoring and we will share updates as time allows. As part of this industry, it is top priority to do what is best for the horses to ensure their wellbeing comes first. We appreciate your understanding as New Money Honey and her foal receive the right care.

13. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    I was wondering why she wasn't there. I hope all goes well and there is a happy and healthy foal in the next couple of days.

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Sending good wishes for a great outcome. I had a feeling she would be sent for vet care. Poor girl.

toth boer goats likes this.
  15. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I hope so too. I haven't heard anything. Usually we find out quickly on Facebook when a mare foals, so I'll post if I hear of any updates on her.

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    There is an update on the foalpatrol Blog. They opted to do a C-section today on New Money Honey at one of the leading equine hospitals in the US (Rood & Riddle in Lexington), and delivered a beautiful filly. They said both are doing well, and there is 1 photo of mama and baby on the blog.
    I'm so sad she had to have a C-section. It worried me this might be the outcome, but as long as both will recover and be fine that's all that matters.

17. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    That is great to hear that they have a live filly and mama. It could have been much worse. Thank you for the update!

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Having never been around a mare that had a c section, can they be re bred?
    Glad that so far, mare and foal are doing ok. I bet the connections were getting worried!

20. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Vaulcluse foaled last night and I didn't realize it! She has an adorable filly! Here's a link to her foalpatrol page if anyone wants to see them, and there are videos of her birth and bonding:
    https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/v...hsCdGeXg6oJYdGVH2i9FKC6ASk-x-coPKhAa0QPkYx4mw

Don't be alarmed that the foal is wearing a muzzle and has a wrapped leg - read the explanations below the live video feed.
    Vaulcluse is NI positive Neonatal Isoerythrolysis. Basically, it's where the mare has antibodies in her colostrum that work against the foal, and can hurt it. So they have to give the foal stored colostrum. I've read that in about 24 hours or so after the mare has been thoroughly milked out, that the foal can generally start nursing off of mom. Lots of info below the video feed. Thought I would share :)

ksalvagno and MellonFriend like this.