The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone grown & fed fodder to their goats? I have been thinking about starting a small fodder systems to help cut back on feed bills. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is also something I have been considering. From what I have read from others it is hit or miss if the goats will like it. Some have tried different types of fodder with success. I plan to grow it for my chickens for boredum busters on bad weather days and I plan to give some to my goats on days when the weather isn't great and they don't want to leave the barn.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done a bit of math & we can get a 50Lb bag of barley seed for $16 & yield 250+lbs of fodder per bag

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got our first small batch of fodder this morning. The chickens loves it. The goats were unsure but ate a little bit. I'm sure they'll snack on it till it's gone
Plant Ingredient Staple food Grass Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Tha looks just like the rye grass seed that sprouts where I spill it!

Reactions: MadCatX

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trying to get our process so when the heat kills the grass we will have somethin to fall back on Texas heat is rough on the grass sometimes

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
We're in north GA now but was in South GA with the goats last year. SO hot it burns the grass, plus a healthy does of humidity to round out the side.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s brutal it doesn’t get real humid just stupid hot & the guy who owned our land before us ran cattle on it & has it way over loaded so it seems to have slowed the grass down

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But what is fodder? Not sprouts??

If yes, it ought to be very good for the animals - including us humans!
It's just sprouted barley or what ever kind of seeds you want done hydroponically so there's no planting & you feed it before it grows it second leaves. Takes 7/8 days from seed to feeding

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Once we get our big setup goin we will be feeding 25lbs a day we have a small heard of Boer goats
Ok. I was really thinking about individual quantity. I was thinking of the way I feed. How many pounds of seed is that per goat per day?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts