foggy eye

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tgmcr, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Active Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    Tonight while at work I got a call from my sister who was putting the goats to bed for me. She said my doe Minerva's eye looked weird and was red and foggy. I had her send me some pictures and immediately texted them to my vet. My vet got back to me and said that she agreed it looked like she needed to be seen before Monday, however she wasn't available so she gave me the contact of another vet. (of course this happened on the weekend (headsmash))I gave him a call and he said to try and put artificial tears in her eye, give her some aspirin and to call in the morning. If there was no improvement by 8:00 tomorrow morning he would come down and see her.
    My sister sent me the pictures at around 4:30 and when I looked at her at 7:00 tonight it looked worse to me. It is definitely very foggy/glazed over, but its only on half of her eye. I cant see any puncture wound or anything and its not bleeding. She is squinting it but is otherwise acting normal, eating and drinking well.
    I believe she is pregnant and was actually in the process of scheduling an ultrasound. She has been INCREDIBLY moody and picking fights with all of the other goats recently. I'm not sure if maybe she hit one of the other goats and that is what caused this. Could there be something else that would cause her eye to suddenly do this?
    I do worry about how foggy it is and how fast it happened.

2. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Active Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    643A5EF3-650E-4A99-8B52-88A50C0A0FDA.jpeg This is the picture my sister sent me

MadHouse likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The vet really said..take an aspirin and call me in the morning? Lol..sorry..that struck me funny..

I would rinse the eye well with saline to make sure there is nothing in it causing irritation. Then grab some terramycin from Tractor supply or neosporin w/o the pain releiver. Apply to the eye 3-4 times a day. She may have the start of pink eye.

4. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Active Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    lol yes, he basically did just say that. I have never used this vet before but with it being the weekend my options are limited.
    I'll run to tractor supply in the morning. Pinkeye did cross my mind but I have never dealt with it in goats...so, stupid question-if it does happen to be pinkeye, is it contagious? Should I confine her from my other guys?

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Not a stupid question at all. Depends on if the infection is caused by irritation or virus. To be on the safe side. I would quarantine her until there is no discharge or watering.

6. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Active Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    This is her from this morning. She’s in her own little area for the day now(which she is not thrilled about). I really can’t tell if it’s better or worse from yesterday. When I saw it last night it looked worse but it was dark and I had a flashlight which may have been why. It doesn’t seem super runny at the moment.
    Her other eye is still all good and she’s still acting normal.
    Does it seem like I should call and have a vet out today or could I bring her to one of my normal vets tomorrow? I certainly will have the vet out if I need to today, but he’s almost 2 hours away and it would be an emergency call so...yikes. I can only imagine the bill. CE28B31E-F011-4E45-A57A-456163C3AF98.jpeg

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would keep using the cream in the eye 3 to 4 times a day and see how she looks Monday. Its hard to see from that picture but I dont see a raised red area which is good. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Either way it doesn't look weepy and she has it open all the way..both of which is good sign.
    If at anytime you feel she better see a vet today..dont hesitate...
    By the way..she is stinking adorable!!

8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thats what I would do. :up: From what I understand, the tears from the eye are contagiouse and carry the pink eye. I would wear gloves to medicate the eye. Then throw them away. Dollar stores carry latex gloves . I have 3 pkgs in my goat kit.

MadHouse, GoofyGoat and happybleats like this.
  9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

What a naughty little face.

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Treat both eyes. It takes about 5 days to totally clear up. Terramycin etc. works great. Or, put LA 200 directly in the eye. (put some in a syringe and then remove the needle) La-200 burns, but does the same thing as terramycin.

11. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Active Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    Thank you for all the advice! I did grab terramycin so I’ll continue treating and watching her. I have my normal vet coming out this week for another one of my does and to do ultrasounds so I’ll probably just have her take a look at it while she’s here :)
    and Lol shes a quirky little thing! I wasn’t really planning on getting her but she needed a home. I went to see her and she was just too cute, I couldn’t pass her up!

MadHouse, GoofyGoat, Tanya and 3 others like this.
  12. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Active Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    Well I had the vet take a look at her eye on Monday and she did see an ulcer in it. She gave me some ointment to put in her eye and I have been doing so for the past couple of days. It really doesn’t look any better (although there is still no weeping) if anything it actually looks more red around it. This afternoon I watched her scratch the eye so I’m wondering if that is why it’s not getting better? lol this is probably such a strange question but would a dog cone work? I feel like it would fit awkwardly but figured it may be worth asking.. I was also thinking of possibly putting an eye patch on it but I don’t know if that would stress her out too much.
    The vet JUST came back out yesterday on an emergency call because one of my other girls (who had just been confirmed pregnant on Monday) looked like she was starting to go into labor and is only 2 months along. Thankfully the babies all looked good on a 2nd ultrasound and she started acting normal again so the vet thinks she could maybe have just been colicky...so I would like to avoid calling the vet out again for the 3rd time this week if I can lol

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You could try the "Cone of Shame".. Since she is alone, no one should try and get it off her.
    It takes awhile to heal, but should, soon. You could rinse the eye with Saline for contact lenses, then after a few min. put the ointment in- especially if she has been itching it with her hoof.

MadHouse likes this.
  14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    What ointment did the vet give? The terramycin should have been just fine.
    Pinkeye takes a few weeks to run its course. Treatment helps prevent further infection and creams sooth the eye. If she is scratching the eye..that won't help her heal much. She would more than likely scratch an eye pad off. A cone can work but you will really need to keep a close eye on her though as it may freak her out. Goats rely on seeing all directions and being food for predators, not seeing side to side may cause too much anxiety and stress..even do something crazy. If she were mine..I would rinse the eye well and do the creams every few hours to keep it clean and soothing.

15. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Active Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    The ointment she gave me is neomycin and polymyxin b. I’ve been rinsing it more frequently and she’s looking a little better today

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    So glad things are looking better. Keep up the good work!!

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

How is your girls eye doing?

19. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Active Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    She’s doing much better! Her eye is completely back to normal :)

Moers kiko boars and happybleats like this.
  20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California