Folded over ear tips in baby boers

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by Mimigwen, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Mimigwen

Mimigwen New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Well, I was right, both of the Boer does I put in the kiding pen kidded today. One while my son was getting ready for school, the other as I was getting ready to pick him up.

Minerva's birth was uneventful, she had a lovely blond/white buckling and a flashy red paint doeling. The doeling ears are folded over at the tips on both ears, the buckling on one ear. What do I need to do (or can I do) to help the ears straighten out. I'm assuming the cartidge will be soft for a few days yet (if they are anyting like puppies ayway), but I'd rather get on thp of this as quickly as I can.

Does this type of thing seems to have a genetic tendency? One of her doelings last year were folded over, but not as tightly as this doeling.

Amelia had a single big red/white paint buckling. I had to help him out a bit, as she was really having a hard time passing his big-ol head. Neither of his ears are folded, and the sire to all three kids is the same.

Any thoughts?

Mary

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. KymberLeAnn

KymberLeAnn New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Yacolt WA
    I've heard of people taping cardboard to them to help them straighten out...

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We've done the cardboard thing, but honestly if they are folded over tight, and the skin is connected, I'd probably just leave them alone.
    We had a huge, really nice doe kid born last year like that, we started to fix her ears, but after 2 weeks it hadn't made much of a difference, so we just left her alone.

I'm not sure what causes it, but I've only ever noticed it in our does who have been heavily pregnant/big babies.
    The same doe that had that doeling last year <she was a 13lb. monster baby!>, had huge triplets a week and a half ago, one buck has a vertical fold <I most likely could fix it, and still might it didn't fold until after he was born!>, the large buckling has folded up ear tips, but they are not tight and are trying to straighten out a little on their own. Doeling has perfect ears.

Yet, our other doe who kidded triplets, the doe is a bigger doe, her triplets weren't nearly as big as the one above, and all have perfect ears.

I have heard that if does have kids with folded ears, then it can be a genetic thing too.
    So it could very well happen again. But if it's just the ear tips folded up, then I wouldn't let it bother me so much. Now, if she were throwing vertically folded ears more than 1x I'd be concerned, those are looked down on more than the folded ear tips.

4. Delilah

Delilah New Member

Jan 6, 2013
    We had that happen a few times last year and the year before with the Nubians. To fix it we used breathe right strips on the inside of the year to straighten it out and then took off a few days later. We kept on repeating every time his ear folder back, his ear eventually fixed and was just like a regular ear.

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    This is the baby I mentioned above with the ear tips that were folded back tightly
    [​IMG]

We used small pieces of cardboard on each side of the ear and duct taped it - had to do more on her because mama kept trying to pull it off lol
    It was very firm, but after a couple of weeks we saw absolutely no change, the ears were just too tightly folded
    [​IMG]

She matured just fine, and became one of our best selling babies ever :)
    [​IMG]

We have had one baby with a gently folded ear tip that we were able to fix with the above method, but just haven't had luck with the tight folds, especially if the skin is attached.

The verticle folds we've been able to fix with what we did in the pics above.

Basically you duct tape the cardboard on each side of the ear and just leave it on until it falls off, if it's not fixed by that time, then reapply. It can take 2-4 weeks.

6. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    We have good luck if we put the cardboard on before the are 3 days. After that I haven't been able to get them to stay straight.

7. Texas.girl

Texas.girl Adopted by Goats

Don't worry about it. Sport came to us with the same issue and eventually gravity fixed it. We did nothing about it but as he grew we noticed the ear slowly unfold and now it hangs down like it should.
    Sports Ear.png

8. KymberLeAnn

KymberLeAnn New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Yacolt WA
    Two of my does had horizontal folds, but they seem to have relaxed in how tight they were.
    I didn't do anything to them, but they sort of just flattened out and now look like a small outward curl of the ear.

9. caprine crazy

caprine crazy Boer Lover 4 Life!

Jun 12, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you show, it's not a fault in the show ring. IMO it's not a big deal.

10. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Ok that's what i was wondering
    Thank you :)

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When it happens, I actually rip them the next day after birth, when they are dry. Then I take duct tape strips and tape it so the actual ripped part is not covered but exposed to the air, and make it to where, the tape holds the ear straight. It re-trains it. I then put iodine on it. Some folds are to severe for just card boarding to work, no matter how long the are taped and braced. Within 4 days, I remove the tape to see how they are. And most of the time they are fine. There are a few, that need re-ripped,in a spot,so, then I re-tape it again for a few more days. Some times, I will end up with a slight curl, but, that is cute on a Doe. :) I hate doing it but, I don't like the flip, so I fix them. ;)
    Just keep an eye on it for infection.

I don't know the cause either, may be due to the way the kid sits in the womb?
    It is OK in the show ring and to breed them and not frowned upon, it is just I do not prefer it. They do end up with a small scar.

It is the collapsed ear, you do not want , that is a bad trait.

12. lovemykidds

lovemykidds Member

Dec 24, 2012
    I showed a boer and they didn't discriminate against it, it's supposedly due to the lack of room in the womb and is more severe with the greater number of kids

13. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    What exactly is a collapsed ear? And what does it look like?
    thank you

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    That's the vertical fold I was talking about. Where the fold is up/down and the ear is folded closed.

We have a baby that was perfectly fine, and now he has a verticle fold, he wasn't born that way, never had that happen before! I even went back to look at pictures and make sure I wasnt' crazy lol
    So tomorrow he'll get some cardboard and duct tape and hopefully straighten it out. He's going to be a market wether, so no big deal if his ear isn't perfect.

I am glad someone else mentioned that the eartips being folded up don't count against them in the show ring. I've seen some awesome does at the summer fairs with folded eartips and they were never counted against them.

We used to have a buck a couple of years ago, and you can tell someone cut his eartip off! I think he must have had folded ear tips and instead of them getting fixed, they cut the tip off!

15. KymberLeAnn

KymberLeAnn New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Yacolt WA
    This is my doe who was born with folded ears. She is now two years old and like I said the fold sort of relaxed and just turned into a slight flip outward,..

Attached Files:

16. BoerMomma

BoerMomma New Member

Jan 22, 2013
    HoosierShadow, that is discusting how could anyone do that?! That is so cruel about the cutting of the tips... Some people are just sick. Poor goat!!

17. serenityfarmnm

serenityfarmnm Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!

Jan 6, 2013
    Caballo, NM
    I hope you are not personally attacking anyone on the board. I sincerely apologize as my first reading seems to have misread and I lectured you quite sternly.

My thanks to HAMILTON ACRES, for pointing it out!

:eek::doh::sick:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  18. Texas.girl

Texas.girl Adopted by Goats

I did nothing and Sport's ear unfolded on its own. I thought it was cute and not something that needed fixing.
    066.jpg

19. serenityfarmnm

serenityfarmnm Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!

Jan 6, 2013
    Caballo, NM
    I could swear the word ANYONE was the word YOU. I t seemed very much directed at Toth!

If I read it wrong, I my DEEPEST apology goes to Momma!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  20. Is it possible to use something other than duct tape- don't get me wrong I love duct tape, bailing wire, and hay bale strings. With dogs, we' take a tongue depressor wrap a little cotton over the end put a little tape piece on it- just to keep the end of it from bothering the inner lower portion of the ear. We then used the white medical tape (not the paper tape) as it won't be as hard as duct tape. You can buy a roll where you buy bandaids. If I wan't showing I probably wouldn't worry about it since they are not folded vertically.