Folded over ear tips in baby boers

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by Mimigwen, Jan 23, 2013.

1. With out going back and re reading again, and it seems one attack may have been removed from the thread. To the new people on the site- we are a 'keep it fun' board. We have children on here as well as adults. We post our view on a topic, people can choose to ignore what they don't believe or may not apply to them. However, first and foremost - as grandma always said- " If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T say anything at all".

2. chelsboers

chelsboers Senior Member

Mar 24, 2010
    SE Kansas
    Having a folded tip is just a cosmetic issue. Like previous posts have stated it isn't a fault unless it's folded lengthwise. I've heard a lot of people pull the ear down right after birth to break the skin attached. I have one kid that was just born that has the tips folded. I'm not worried about it and will just leave it alone. There are worse genetic traits than a folded ear.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The ear is collapsed, it squeezes (collapses) vertically together, closing at the opening of the ear canal. Wish I could find a picture on the web but can't find one.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It did start out to be, as if it was directed towards HoosierShadow, but, if you re-read what HoosierShadow said, "she knew someone that did this", then you are able to see, that the comment wasn't actually directed to her. Thank you for watching out here, I see where it could be taken a bit wrong. ;)

5. chelsboers

chelsboers Senior Member

Mar 24, 2010
    SE Kansas
  6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    "Anyone", means any person, that can do that. "You" means, it is commented directly to that person. ;)

I do rip the ears, if they come out curled, not cut them, so I really do not believe, anything was directed to me personally. I hate ripping them, but at birth, the skin is easier to rip. :(

We have talked about this Topics before. Here are a couple of the Topics links if interested.

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f197/curled-up-ears-again-128920/#p350330

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/billy-ear-problem-124886/

In my opppion there was no attack on anyone here.

Anyone that reads something, that seems a bit off or rude. Please~!!! read and re-read all the comments before determining an outcome. If it is really out of line "report it". Then, we will go over it and confront the attacker if need be. Lets keep it friendly and fun :)

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks for that link Chelsboers, it shows a severe vertical fold.
    I had a doe with about half that on one ear. Like other faults, never to be seen again.
    My doe did need her ear cleaned out periodically as ear eax would build up.

9. BoerMomma

BoerMomma New Member

Jan 22, 2013
    I am so sorry if anyone took that the wrong way! Did not mean it like that at all. I was just bothered about her story of how someone cut off the tips of a goats ears! :0 I am a goat lover and did not mean for that to seem like an attack. Apologies! I will watch how I word things.

10. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    So are you saying (not that I'm in this perdicament) that if I had one nannies babbies with the fold then their their nannies wouldent necessarily have it and the 2nd litter of the orriginal Nannie wouldent necessaraly have it?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  11. BoerMomma

BoerMomma New Member

Jan 22, 2013
    This is a personal apology to HoosierShadow. I am very truly sorry if I offended you or Hurt your feelings I hope you understand what I was writing. :) I was just agreeing with you! Thank you and sorry again.

12. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Vertical folded ear goats, shouldn't be used breeding programs, unless it is for meat purposes. It will and can carry on that bad trait.

14. serenityfarmnm

serenityfarmnm Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!

Jan 6, 2013
    Caballo, NM
    YOU did not misword I misread!!!!! You owe no apologies!:eek::eek:

15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Here are a set of triplets we had born on 1-13. Pic was taken on 1-17.
    [​IMG]

For some reason in the past few days, the boy on the left has an ear that suddenly has a verticle fold
    [​IMG]

That is the kind of fold you don't want.

We've never had one fold closed like that more than a week after birth, so tonight I put cardboard/duct tape to try and get it to flatten out.

The kids have been planning to use the boys as market wethers, so it's not a huge deal, but I just do not like the vertical folded ears, eartips I can deal with.
    -- The boy in the red sweaters eartips have actually gotten looser looking and may end up somewhat fixing themselves.

16. BoerMomma

BoerMomma New Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Oh my goodness they are soooo flippin cute!!!!! LOVE them!!! (Heart)

17. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    That has been just my experience. None of her line has ever had it. One buckling had a vertical fold in another line. Naturally he went for meat.
    Ive learned to look at that or any DQ fault this way, they WILL crop up now & then.
    Just like double orifices. Only one doe with that. She always feed her kids fine & she has not passed it on.
    Now. If any DQ show up on a regular basis then they would be culled.
    It all depends on what your goals are.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    OMGoodness, they are so adorable.
    Wow, never heard of them doing that, days after they were born ,real bizarre for sure. :shrug:

19. Mimigwen

Mimigwen New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for all the responses, we decided to try and cardboard/tape, and see if it helped. I train/show Dobermans, so taping ears is something I've done a LOT over the years <Grin>.

I'm going to try and attach before and after photos. The before photos are right after birth, the ears have a fuse of cartildge, and I'm too squeamish to pull them apart and snap it. Not without anesthesia <G>.

Mary

Attached Files:

20. Joe-T

Joe-T New Member

May 1, 2017
    The only thing you can do if the skin is attached together is to, please forgive me I know this sounds terrible, separated the skin that has grown together. About the only way this can be achieved is to pull the folded lower part of the ear away from the top part. Pull is really not the correct word, SNATCH is more a correct word. Holding the ear just above the fold and snatching the lower part away will give you a straight ear. Drown the area in Antiseptic. Its obviously painful, but its over in a few quick seconds. How badly do you want a straight ear?