The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 castrated male goats that were raised together. I have only had them for about 5-6 months. A friend of mine got them for 4-H and when it was over they wanted them to go to a home where they wouldn't be eaten. They are in a pen that is quite large and I go out to spend time with them all the time, so do my 3 kids. We love them and get along great....except for one thing...feeding time. When we first got them, I was told that one was food aggressive, towards people. The first time I fed them, it wasn't too bad. The one who is more of an aggressor stood up on his hind legs and tried to knock the food bucket out of my hand. I pushed him down and that was that. Now that they have been with us for a while, I expected them to get used to us, but it has gotten worse. They aren't purposely mean, they just REALLY want their breakfast. They get treats all day long, branches of leaves, hay, and other choice bits so I can't imagine that they are that hungry when the morning comes and it's time for their actual feed. Just this morning, they knocked my son down, and stepped on him when he dropped the feed bucket...and I had already given them hay so they were already eating...does anyone have any suggestions??? I love them, but my kids are starting to get a little afraid of them.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
My buck gets that way too...not at me but all other goats. There is feed in front of him 24 7 so IMO its crap. This is what I do....either this or bye bye.....I get my dogs shock collar and put on him. After a day he's good for about a month. I have tried everything in the book even penned him by himself for awhile so he would be happywith girlfriends not want to be mean.

·
1,524 Posts
You need to do something now or someone is going to get seriously hurt. He has no respect for humans and he needs to learn it immediately. A shock collar, spraying water in his face or even pepper spray to his nostrils will work. Or, stop feeding them grain and just stay with hay. I would stop feeding treats and such for a while too, they don't consider you dominant over them, they are looking at you as equals or lower. Someone is going to get seriously hurt if he continues.

If he were mine, he would already be in the freezer. I do not tolerate aggressive animals, especially with 2 legged kids involved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts