The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am wondering how much hay I should give my girls a day. Would three times a day be enough? Also, when they are pregnant how much grain to I give them a day? Last year, we gave them some two times a day, but they got Pregnancy Toxemia, and almost died. We got them through it, and practically slept in the barn for three days. So to make sure the same thing doesn't happen, I am wondering how much to give to each goat. We will be breeding six of them this year, three of them are only going to be 1 years, and have never given birth befor. The other three are at their full growth and will be 2 years, and have already given birth once. I give them minerals also. How much do you guys give your goats when they are pregnant? Thank you.
:whatgoat:

·
2,203 Posts
We remove all grain early pregnancy besides their daily goat feed and BOSS. Towards the end, when she starts developing her udder we very slowly sprinkle grain back into her ration to work her back up to production grain.

Always keep hay free choice. You can check 3x a day, but once is plenty with eyeing your feeder up before bed. Don't load it so full they'll waste most, but just enough for the day. Top it off at night. Sometimes during the summer we even pull hay during the night once they're bedded down. Otherwise our girls try their best to build a bed.

For milk fever, you can prevent this from happening by giving calcium oral drench prior to kidding, and shortly after.

ETA: girls I know that are prone to MF I also pull any mineral containing high levels of calcium.

·
1,524 Posts
I feed my goats hay 3 times a day and grain twice. I feed grain 365 days a year, no matter if they are lactating, dry, pregnant, growing or just maintaining. The grain amount gets adjusted for the stage they are at, but they get a minimum of 1 pound a day, plus grass/weed hay. I give them alfalfa pellets year round for the calcium, along wigth their loose minerals and kelp.

In the winter months I feed hay 4 times a day, but grain only twice a day.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My girls get fed good quality grass/alfalfa hay once a day at the rate of 5 lbs/adult doe, I do not feed anything free choice, and they get no grain. If we are short on hay, I will feed alfalfa pellets as part of their regular hay ration. I've had no problems with pregnancy toxemia, milk fever, or ketosis to date.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Right now all of our does and wethers are on pasture and free choice minerals. Our bucks get 2 smaller flakes or 1 fat one per day. Starting winter and when it gets cold and rainy we will go back to alfalfa twice a day. We will also hang free choice minerals in their barns during winter. Only in the summer do they eat just pasture. For grain mixtures we will be starting happy bleats grain mixture. Right now when everyone comes up for hoof trims ect they get a treat of showmaker AP 16%, boss, all in one and beatpulp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts