Food grade de as wormer

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Is this a good wormer? Effective? Cost efficient? How much? How? Questions, questions, questions.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It sure is!! I know of a breeder that uses it and mixes so much of it with the loose minerals...as well as uses it as a dust on her LGD. The breeder I got my Bailey from uses it and I had no eveidence of worms in her fecal so it must do a good job :greengrin:

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    this was taking from Suzanne Gasparotto's site:

Diatomaceous Earth is currently a popular product which some people believe acts as a de-wormer. As of this date, every study which has been done on the de-worming efficacy of DE has proven that it is not effective against internal parasites. If you are one of those people who believe in DE with an almost religious fervor, please do both yourself and your goats a favor and also use an ethical de-wormer from the list above. It may be that DE will allow longer stretches between de-worming. Currently there are several tests being done on DE, the results of which are not yet available. Until a controlled study proves DE's effectiveness against internal parasites, please do not rely on it solely as a way to keep your goats de-wormed.

the link to this info is: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/de-wormingandvac.html

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks for posting that link Alyssa....I haven't used it or have been able to locate a cheap source of it, I just know what I've seen and heard, definately puts it's use into a better perspective :)

5. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I was one that believed in DE as it was recommended to me when I first got into goats years ago. But after I started to do fecal testing, I found it was not as effective as I thought it was. I now use chemical wormers, I wish I could rely on something more natural like DE or another natural dewormer, but so far I haven't found anything to work as well as the chemical ones. :shrug:
    Wish there was though. If anyone knows of such a natural worming product that does just as good of a job as say Valzaben or Ivomec please let me know.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Laurel_Haven ............... I totally agree................. :thumb:

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    No Problem. I am glad I could help :greengrin:

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Laurel Haven: We use a natural dewormer from Fir Meadow Herbals down in Southern OR. She has reasonable prices and is an herbalist. I LOVE this dewormer, it works so well! Even if it didn't take care of parasites we'd probably use it anyways because it makes our goat's coats so soft, shiny, and healthy. They are more alert, bright, and just all in all very healthy. I highly recommend it. :)

9. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thanks everyone! Does Fir Meadow Herbals have a website?

10. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Capriola-nd - Well I am up for anything that makes my goats in top condition. :thumbup: Right now I add BOSS & Calf-Manna to their feed to get those results of soft, shiny & healthy coats.
    Are you saying you use both Natural & Chemical dewormers on your goats?

11. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, kinda sorta. All does that provide milk for our family are given the herbal dewormer blend (doesn't make the milk taste funny). As an added step, we still give chemical dewormers in the spring and fall, just in case. I truly think that this does the trick though. They don't seem to mind the taste either and if they do, I just dribble a little molasses on top of it.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We've tried DE, I personally think it is a quack. I do believe there are certain beneficial minerals in it that may be useful, but other than that, it really doesn't work as a wormer.

We have been using Kat's(fir meadow) wormer for about 5 months now and there has been a huge difference. The girls are milking more, looking better, they are brighter eyed, eating better etc. I've never had a herbal wormer work this well. we still keep chemical wormers on hand if we need to use them.

14. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I do think DE does help in controlling flies though - when I sprinkle it on the bottom of rabbit hutches, I hardly ever find maggots in the wet areas. I have also used it for powdering dogs for fleas and it has worked. I've been mixing it in with my grain for 2 years now, and I don't have to worm as often and everyone seems plumper and healthier. I did a fecal once on a sheep and it was negative. So still not convinced that it doesn't do some work.

15. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    What is the price of the Fir Meadow Herbs wormer?
    Ashlyn

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think it's $12 a pound. I don't know the dosages for large goats but it's all on the webpage. Shipping is decent too. I love Molly's Herbals but the shipping is a little too expensive w/ her. . . . it might have been cheaper for me though because I live in the same state, just further up.

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I don't know about how good a wormer it is.....but I use it in my chicken coops.....it really cuts down on the smell and and helps with flies...helps keep things dry!..since getting the goats, I use it in their barn....I have read that it takes care of mites and lice....I ordered mine from a website called Custom Milling out of Georgia I believe. I also add it to the chickens food as a natural wormer, I am not sure if it works, but my chickens have never had worms. I read that it has sharp shards that cut the worms and that is how it works.....they really recommend it on the BYC forum site, that is how I found out about it......but it has to be food grade DE....there are 2 different kinds.
    Take care Denise from Indiana