The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow morning we go to check out 2 ~15 week old Nigerian Dwarf goats. A doe and a wether. Both have been bottle fed and may be weaned by now.

On the way home, we plan to stop at the feed store. I know I need a bale of hay, but what kind do I ask for for these goats?

I saw at the Tractor Supply today they had 50# bags of goat feed. Do I need to pick a bag of goat food, too?

I believe the lady will give me what's left of the goat minerals.

So I believe that may be it to get us started. Hay, goat feed (maybe) and the minerals.

Their stall is ready for them with straw bedding, hay feeder and soon to be waterer.

·
14,615 Posts
Find out what she is feeding them, what kind of hay & grain. If the grain she uses isnt readily available ask to buy a bag from her.
And congrats on your new goats!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Start with GOOD grass hay, fresh green stuff. Be prepared, they waste a lot. But grass hay should be their main diet, it keeps their rumen going, and they can get as much as they will eat. I like second cutting grass.

I do not reccomend grain for wethers, it is the greatest cause of UC (kidney stones) which is way more common than it needs to be. If you do feed grain, it must be 2:1 calcium/phosphorus balanced, with ammonium chloride, and I wouldn't feed any more than 1/4 a cup.

I like to feed alfalfa pellets instead of grain ... it gives them just a bit of calcium to keep that ratio in proper shape. TOO much calcium is bad, but a little will protect them. I feed 1/4 a cup to my young bucks, 1/2 a cup to my full-grown.

So, in short, my "pets" get 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets, manna pro minerals (free choice), hay (free choice, when I can afford to), and water.

Best of luck with your new 'lil ones! :thumb: There are so many ways to do things, and not really a "right or wrong" way, this is just what I have found, through research, to be the best option for me. :) The fact that you're doing research now is a GREAT sign that they're in good hands. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so will definitely stay away from grain sine one of these guys is a wether. I actually thought the 50# bags of goat feed I saw in Tractor Supply yesterday was a formulated pellet. Similar to what I give my chickens, their lay ration. But I didn't look too close.

I will look at alfalfa pellets. 1/2 cup for each animal once a day?

Thank you for the explanation on the hay, too.

I'm excited to see if we like these goats well enough to bring them home today!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts