The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 month old buckling that keeps getting food stuck in his throat. Other than that he's fine. I have never seen this before. Has anyone else?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Is it when he is eating or belching up his cud?

Reactions: Sfgwife

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Welcome here, both you and your buckling! :) Me, too, I am wondering more exactly what it looks like. More exactly when does it happen? What has he been doing before? How does he act when it happens? What kinds of food do you offer your goats? I mean, are there pieces in there that COULD get stuck in a narrow passage? Possible to check his teeth?

My first thought is some kind of damage in his mouth or pharynx. Born with it, or something that has happened later. I am thinking of possible ways to soften the food for him, if it is so that it is bigger or dryer pieces that get stuck.

Long ago, I have seen something similar in a horse, but she was old, and the pieces of special food were rather big. I had to massage her throat to get it down, and after that we always soaked that food for her before serving it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Does the kid gobble, eat really fast, his feed? Reason I ask is, I've experienced a food choking episode three times with one of my wethers. Scared the daylight out of me, there was drooling, gaging, thrashing about and he couldn't breath very well. I even tried giving the Heimlich maneuver the first time, and then resorted to massaging his neck below the jaw and it went down. Once, he was able to hack it back up on his own. @Trollmor has posted about a crossword for goats, adding a handful of hay cut into smaller pieces to the feed. It seems to slow down the consumption rate speed of my gobbler and to date, knock on wood, he hasn't choked from eating too fast in many months now. Not sure why your kid is choking, this method has helped the situation with mine though.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
What are the symptoms to make you check for food in his throat?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,452 Posts
I really believe it's choking because he really is trying to eat.
This sentence does not make sense to me. What are the actual symptoms? Is he in distress? Coughing? Hacking? Drooling? Acting like he can't breathe?

Is it getting stuck in his throat or is he just not getting it past his mouth?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This sentence does not make sense to me. What are the actual symptoms? Is he in distress? Coughing? Hacking? Drooling? Acting like he can't breathe?

Is it getting stuck in his throat or is he just not getting it out of his mouth?
He eats and the food gets caught. Last night he was hacking almost like a cat does with a fur ball.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
It does sound like something is wrong with his teeth, not chewing enough before swallowing. He may have a twig of something hung farther down than you can reach.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It does sound like something is wrong with his teeth, not chewing enough before swallowing. He may have a twig of something hung farther down than you can reach.
Yes that's what I was thinking too. We were all up in his mouth last night. Looking and inspecting his teeth and throat

1 - 20 of 30 Posts