The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
He used to always be the first one up at feeding time. So yeah I guess he was kinda eating fast. all my goat's do. I didn't see any irritation last night but I'm going to check again tonight

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Hm ... Maybe try to make him "work" for every mouthful? To give him time to chew, rather than swallowing things half-chewed?

Just a thought ... :ponder::ponder:

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
With dogs, they have a special bowl for dogs who eat too fast it has ridges in it so they have to work around them to get their food. Some people put washed rocks (too large to get in mouth) in horse feed bowls so they have to slow down and not choke. You could do something similar once you figure out how to feed him away from the herd.

·
8,263 Posts
One of my many goats had a choking problem 4 yrs. ago. She was also "down". For no reason I could discern, she couldn't stand, choked on her food and the vet advised that she would die, so put her down.

Me being the sucker that I am for the weak, cut (with scissors) her hay in small pieces, soaked beet pulp and mixed with her grain, hand fed small amounts at a time. Along with helping her to stand, vitamin ADE, B complex etc. she finally recovered after 2 weeks.
Absolutely no idea what was going on. She is 4 now, a beautiful Tog, has a yearling, preg again and never any more choking problems. (Or standing/walking trouble).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
One of my many goats had a choking problem 4 yrs. ago. She was also "down". For no reason I could discern, she couldn't stand, choked on her food and the vet advised that she would die, so put her down.

Me being the sucker that I am for the weak, cut (with scissors) her hay in small pieces, soaked beet pulp and mixed with her grain, hand fed small amounts at a time. Along with helping her to stand, vitamin ADE, B complex etc. she finally recovered after 2 weeks.
Absolutely no idea what was going on. She is 4 now, a beautiful Tog, has a yearling, preg again and never any more choking problems. (Or standing/walking trouble).
I understand my daughter and I hand feed him tonight. I will continue until he gets better. I'm a sucker too and I love them all. I may need to look into the beet pulp. I tried taking him away from everyone but that stressed him so much. So now I go out to him multiple times a day to make sure he's ok.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
The hand feeding sounds good to me, it will slow him down. I tie all of mine to seperate bowls and they still seem to race to get through first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The hand feeding sounds good to me, it will slow him down. I tie all of mine to seperate bowls and they still seem to race to get through first.
They definitely race and some of my bigger girls will push the others out of the way. He seems to be doing ok on the hand feeding. We're doing just a little at a time multiple times a day

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
If he thinks it is a race, and still gets stressed by being alone, maybe you could try some kind of container tied over his nose/face? If you can get room enough inside it to place those "delayers" inside?

Just a thought. This case intrigues me!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts