Foot issue

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Kristina Calli, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Kristina Calli

Kristina Calli New Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Canada
    Hi there,

My 8 month old Alpine wether’s inside front toes on both feet have just begun turning in like this. This photo is a bit of an exaggeration of how he’s typically standing now, but gives a good idea. Any ideas?

I had read that too much protein may be an issue, which could make sense as he started having some alfalfa hay at lunch (previously only ever grass hay, which he gets the rest of the day).

His twin brother eats the same and is fine. Both get MannaPro goat mineral fed daily (although his brother does tend to finish up his portion of the minerals).

Thank you for your advice!

Attached Files:

MadHouse likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Any particular reason you don't offer the mineral free choice (as much as they want)?

It looks like the hooves are too long. Do you trim the sole/frog?

3. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    That hoof wall extending all the way to the heel means they aren't being trimmed short enough. That heel nub needs to go too.

Attached Files:

4. Kristina Calli

Jun 23, 2020
    Canada
    I haven’t given it to them free choice as I’m quite confident that his brother would over indulge (he got into the bag before and did not satiate!).

But I could try giving it free choice for a couple days, and see if they work out a rhythm?

It has been a couple weeks since I trimmed their feet, but no I haven’t trimmed their sole or frog. The advice I’d got was to stick to the hoof wall.

Thank you so much for outlining in the pic! Very helpful!!

MadHouse likes this.
  5. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Definitely switch to free choice minerals. If they consume a lot the first few weeks, that just means they need it! They will level off on consumption and use it when they needed, more some times and almost none others. Just put out a week's worth at a time so it doesn't get moist and clumpy.

I think trimming the sole is an essential part of hoof health. It may help to watch hoof trimming videos online!

6. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Does your mineral have salt added? I understand the salt is added so they don’t overeat on it? On my mineral bags it says mix 1 part to 1 part salt. @SalteyLove , please correct me if I’m wrong.

7. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Right, her Manna Pro Goat Mineral already has the salt so it will self limit them.

In the U.S. one without salt is called a "pre-mix" and is meant to be mixed with salt or added to grain, but I understand in Canada the minerals without salt are more commonly marketed.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good advice given.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Kristina Calli

Jun 23, 2020
    Canada
    Thank you very much to you both for your input.

I actually ordered this MannaPro from the US as I was unable to find a supplier in my area, and the goat mineral available here was lacking in several things including sufficient copper (shipping was about 3 times the cost of each bag, but they’re my fur babies!).

So, this mineral does have salt in it. I will give them a weeks supply at once as you suggest.

Do you happen to know of a foot trimming video that you would recommend? The couple I saw only focused on the hoof wall. I can give the frog and heel bulb a shot, but would appreciate some more guidance.

Thank you again for your time and help!

MadHouse and SalteyLove like this.
  10. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
  11. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I didn't watch every second of this but it looks like a good start:
    He's probably not quite as aggressive as I am but this gives you an idea that some of your cuts will trim both sole & wall at the same time, following the line of the hoof wall to the heel.

12. Kristina Calli

Jun 23, 2020
    Canada
    Thank you!! Both the thread and video were really helpful. I was able to recognize some issues with his brother’s feet too.

Got a start on fixing their issues at least!

(It’s crazy how the other videos that popped up in my google search were so different! I’m so grateful for this forum!!)

Attached Files:

SalteyLove and MadHouse like this.