The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
BoerValleyFarm
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what to use to treat our goats (boer) for foot rot? We live in Pa where it rains a lot and the ground is very wet and muddy. We have locked them up in the barn and treated them. But, as soon as we let them back out, it returns. Thanks:cart:

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
I personally have not dealt with hoof rot other than what a good trimming can take care of...Pam suggested this web sight before : ) I hope it helps : )
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19054&p=229906&hilit=hoof+rot# p229906

Koppertox seems to be a popular treatment : ) Best wishes

There is also several threads on here about this, just scroll down to the bottom of this page and click away : )

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Can anyone tell me what to use to treat our goats (boer) for foot rot? We live in Pa where it rains a lot and the ground is very wet and muddy. We have locked them up in the barn and treated them. But, as soon as we let them back out, it returns. Thanks:cart:
Copper Sulfate, iodine, and bleach/water solution are all effective against foot rot. You may need to use systemic antibiotics as well. Trim their feet to allow whatever you decide to use to permeate the affected areas and kill the bacteria. If possible, confine them to a dry area until the foot rot is knocked out. If possible, build up the outer areas of their pen so they have an area that is not underwater to go to, and use dirt/sand/rock fines to make a bridge to the waterer/water tubs so they don't have to slog through slop to get a drink.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts