The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month old Nubian wether who I suspect has hoof scald. I live in the northwest just outside of Portland Oregon so we have yucky rainy weather going on right now. I trimmed up his hooves and did not see anything wrong with it other than he was limping and did not want to put his foot down. Yesterday he was kneeling to eat, but is still eating and following the herd. Today I noticed it is beginning to swell around the top of his hoof so Tonight I soaked his foot, and cleaned and dried it well. Gave him antibiotic (Bio-Mycin 200), and Banamine for swelling/pain. I will be giving him proobios as well. I am new to goats, these are my first. So My questions are
1) What else should I be doing?
2) Anyone else in the area have issues with scald or hoof rot in the rainy winter months, what do you do to prevent it?
3) Any other thoughts on what it could be if not scald? (his symptoms started about 3 days ago, at first thought he may have jumped and landed wrong)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Could be foot scald or foot rot. Probably want to isolate him until you're sure which since foot rot is contagious. Did you notice a foul odor while trimming his feet? If so, sounds like foot rot. What did you soak his feet in? Does he have access to an area that is dry? Here is a link to an article on both.

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0087/UNP-0087.pdf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His Hoof actually looked very good, I just had to trim it up a little bit. No separation of the hoof wall, no foul odor or puss. I soaked his foot in warm water and epsom salts. I put the goats in the barn every night so I soaked and dried his foot just before "bedtime". I looked in between his toes while cleaning and I don't see anything, not dry or white, or pink. Just looks like a healthy hoof that is now starting to swell. I work nights, so I will check in the morning to see if the swelling has gone down at all. Someone else mentioned founder as a possibility I am just reading up on it. I put the goats out during the day about 8-10 hours we have lots of blackberries and grass in the pasture area, at night I give each goat about 1/2 cut of medicated grain. Is 1/2 cup to much? could this be a possibility and would it affect just one hoof?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Hi Jennifer, Yes hoof scald is a yearly problem in our area. He is showing signs very early though. You want it to dry up so, spraying a Chlorhexadine solution on it a couple times a day would be very good. Make sure to get between the toes and around the coronet band. I use a product from Jeffers called "Fight Bac" on my goats.

Prevention is...
Making sure that their copper, Selenium, and Iodine are kept at good levels. Here I bolus 3 times a year. Give bo.se 3 to 4 times a year, give kelp free choice.
Making sure that his feet can get completely dry everyday. Using Stall Dry and pelleted wood bedding under the straw will pull moisture down away from where he is.
Keeping him out of the mud as much as possible. Paths to areas he uses a lot can be made from pallets and such.
Covering some areas. I know it looks ******* but, tarp covers over watering areas and play areas will cut down on the mud also.

Good Luck with him, I hope he feels better soon...

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Founder usually shows up in both front feet or all four feet, not just one. 1/2 a cup of pelleted feed is not anywhere close to too much for full sized goats.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Goat Hiker,
I do give free choice minerals with copper / selenium. He did have his BoSe shot at 8 weeks. I thought that was a once a year shot, and that if given too much they can overdose? You are in my area and understand the needs of the goats here so please let me know what I should be doing. The goats overnight in the barn and have clean dry stalls with Pine shavings over rubber mats, should I switch to straw or does it not make that big of a difference? I didn't know they needed Iodine. I have 2% iodine at home or should I get 7% and how much would I give? Thank You

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also wonder, they have all had their 2 CD&T vaccines. Should I give a tetanus anti toxin shot too just in case? or is that going overboard?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Tetanus usually only lives in puncture wounds. He's probably alright there.
No, we don't feed chemical iodine, Here is what I do...

Feed...
Eastern Oregon orchard grass hay. Enough that the feeder is never empty more than a 1/2 hour or so but, they eat it all.
Alfalfa pellets (grown in Culver). Free choice
My own grain mix, fed as needed individually

Supplements...
Free choice minerals Nutri-Lux brand (manufactured in McMinnville)
Free choice Kelp meal, This is where they get their iodine and many other micro nutrients...

Occasional Supplements...
Copper bolus every 4 months
Bo.Se shot at same time as copper every 4 months. It only stays in their system for 3 months at the very most, usually it's gone in 2.
Most people start these 2 things twice a year and then see if they need more.

Anything else?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Oh yeah, I find a little straw over the top of whatever else helps keep the stalls drier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update...He is doing a little better today, still limping / holding his foot up. But he is standing more to eat. The swelling seems to either have stayed the same or gone down a tiny bit. But not gotten any worse. He is trying to set his hoof down to walk. hopefully tomorrow will show more improvement. I will give him Bio-mycin again tonight. Is it for 3 days? Thanks again for everyone's advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts