The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed one of my nannies had a split hoof. Since I have been down with shoulder I have not spent the times in the pens that I should have. (Doctors orders) well this morning I decided their hoofs need looking at. I have no one to do this but me. I have a helper to catch and hold on the stand but I have to trim. I took sling off and got with he program. I have never seen my goat hooves in this bad of shape. I trimmed them in January before my surgery which is now only about 3 months now or less. They all have some foot rot and the hooves have really grown over and some rotted off I guess. It took 3-1/3 to 4 hours to finish. We had a lot rain and muddy pens for a month which may have cause a lot of it, but the growth they all had makes me think the cotton seed I feed them morning and evening may be too much protein. There are 12 nannies and I feed them a gallon and a half a day of cotton seed with their alfalfa pellets and oats with a little boss mixed in. Do you think this could be the cause of the foot growth?

·
8,175 Posts
Protein should be about 17% for the does. Too much protein can cause kidney damage. But, good feed will cause hoof growth, too! And the mud (of which a lot of the country has) will cause soft feet and the excess hoof will tear away from the foot, sometimes.
Hopefully, things will dry out. Are there areas they can go to get out of the mud?
I hope you didn't over do it with your arm!

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Protein should be about 17% for the does. Too much protein can cause kidney damage. But, good feed will cause hoof growth, too! And the mud (of which a lot of the country has) will cause soft feet and the excess hoof will tear away from the foot, sometimes.
Hopefully, things will dry out. Are there areas they can go to get out of the mud?
I am tired with the arm but we got it done. I just never have feet that bad, not on just one or two but all twelve. I feed this cotton seed to my cows 3 times a week. I hope it's not hurting them. I also only feed hay during winter until they stop eating the hay and go for the grass.

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have dry pasture (it was drier than the feed pens. It's much better now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts