The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like this recipe that you mix,so I'm going to try it out.They have free choice minerals and baking soda is there any other supplements I should do? I have 3 does and 2 wethers. That way I can pick every thing up at once and I do know to mix old food with new food for easy adjustment
Thank you
Rhoda

6 parts whole oats
2 parts calf manna
2 parts BOSS
1 part beet pulp ( we buy shredded)
mix together and serve one part mix with 3 parts alfalfa pellets

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
only advie I can think of is make sure its loose minerals...the blocks have way too much salt in them and are hard for them to lick enough mineral to help them ( their tongues are very soft)..
For the boys free choice baking soda is not good ( UC )..so I would pull that and only give it as needed for bloat

:D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My goats love that recipe.......I've been feeding it for at least 3 months now thanks to happy bleats! My goats are looking fantabulous!!! I also copper bolused my girls which made an even bigger difference in their coats! You'll be pleased with that recipe! :)

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Could I see a pic of that mix? It sounds interesting...
here is the goodies list

6 parts whole oats
2 parts calf manna
2 parts BOSS
1 part beet pulp ( we buy shredded)
mix together and serve one part mix with 3 parts alfalfa pellets

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Could I see a pic of that mix? It sounds interesting...
I'll take a pic of mine and post it when I get home unless someone beats me to it!

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Yes of course they can eat it dry Here are some resources. Read the myths of beet pulp. and you have read beet pulp safety warning it's just to funny. http://www.allcreaturesanimalhealth.com/site/view/212994_EquineNutritionArticles.pml
That mix is a good one and people seem happy with it. I started doing my own version of it using barley and vegetable oil to replace beet pulp and BOSS. I've been really happy with that as well.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
smells good too :p..my kids aways picked at the Boss lol

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
smells good too :p..my kids aways picked at the Boss lol
Lol!! My kids eat the "good stuff" and eat the alfalfa pellets last! It's like when we ate lucky charms cereal as a kid........you eat the marshmallows first!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I can't get beet pulp or barley at my feed store could cracked corn be used in their pace?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
can you find oats? I can only find oats, so that's pretty much the only grain they get (with split peas and alfalfa pellets).

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Agreed. no corn or very little...it doesn't add much to the diet..its a cheap filler...Most places that sell horse goodies will have beet pulp, because we avoid GMO, I now use Whole oats, whole barley, BOSS then mix one part that with 3 parts alfalfa pellets..

how much to feed depends on what you are feeding...Our milkers start at 3 # per feeding and we up it depending on what they are producing and the need....My large Saanen who gives 2 gallons a day gets 6# per feeding! I also go by condition...if they need more, they get more...they are also on Alfalfa and coastal, loose minerals and Sea90 salt

·
Crazy for Fainters
1,243 Posts
I feel really really stupid...but what is this BOSS that I keep reading about?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts