For how long is milk off-flavored by food

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by goatsrcute, Apr 24, 2009.

1. goatsrcute

goatsrcute New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    I understand that milk is affected by the food the goats eat. If B was to milk the doe in the morning, keep that milk for themself, and put the goats out to pasture during the day in a pasture with things that might/do flavor the milk. B milks the goat in the evening and puts her up for the night, fed that second milk to other animals/livestock. Will the next morning's milk still be flavored? Would the off-flavor be preventable if B was to put the goat in a smaller pen (with no plants) a few hours before the second milking? I hope all that makes sence :?

2. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I have never had off flavored milk though but we pasturize the milk here though.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what they eat the day before effects what they produce the next day. I know this because if they eat a lot the day before their milk production is higher the next day. If they are lacking water the day before their production is lower the next day etc

So a morning milking is effected by the previous days eating etc

I havent encountered off flavored milk though to my knowledge that was from them eating something.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It really depends on what they may have eaten, I leave my goats browse thru the day and the only time I notice an "off" flavor is when they find a patch of wild garlic....and even then I don't dump it, I use it for cheese :greengrin:

As was mentioned, anything the doe eats or drinks on Monday will affect Tuesdays milk :greengrin: , wether it be good or bad.

5. goatsrcute

goatsrcute New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Thank you all so much, this is something that's been on my mind for a while.

"and even then I don't dump it, I use it for cheese" So if the milk is off-flavored it can still be used for cheese without it tasting terrible?

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    My only experience with off flavored milk was when my doe was with a buck. Her milk was off flavor for a solid two days after bringing her home from the buck.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The only off flavor I have had is with the garlic....it does great as cheese, though I do need to add garlic to it to bring out the flavor.

What have your goats eaten that caused an off flavor?

8. goatsrcute

goatsrcute New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Oh I don't have goats yet, I just like to plan ahead, never hurts to be prepared you know?
    I have also read that pine needles will flavor the milk, do your goats eat pine needles?

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine do eat pine needles....the only after effect of this is the piney burps.....not bad unless they belch in my face!

10. goatsrcute

goatsrcute New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    :ROFL:

Thank you all for the info, it's very much appreciated, this forum is awesome! :leap: