for sale

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Feb 4, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I see all these goat ads of being for sale. Good goats with good papers on them. My question is what do ya'll do if ya'll can't move them? I know around here for a scrub, you put it in the paper and ask what you want. If you can't get what you want, then you take them to the sale barn and get fair market price for them. I can't see taking a registered animal to the sale.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you have to cut down on your herd and cannot afford to feed them...what I do is... sell them cheaper....but with "no papers"..I myself will not go under... my bottom base price for registered stock.... ..put an add out.... with the lower price....or if you are real desperate to move them .....you can take them to the auction ....but please ....don't take the registration papers...
    if they want registered... make them pay the price you want .......it' like killing the market.... if you let the papers go with a below average price.... good luck :hug:

3. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Some people butcher the stock they can't sell. :shrug: I wouldn't butcher my girls but some people do put them in the freezer if they cant sell them.

I wouldnt take one of my $300 goats to the sale barn either. They sell around $50 at the local sale barn and I put too much work and money in them to sell them that cheap.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do agree with you , but sometimes we have to do... what we have to do ...or our animals will starve... some people have... no money to feed them.....I do sympathize with anyone in this situation....it is very stressful .......with this economy the way it is..... :hug: :(

5. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'm not in any one of these problems. I'm just trying out the water with ya'll feet[words]. Thinking out loud, letting ya'll tell me what ya'll have done, would do.

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I mainly advertise on Craig's List here in Oregon. When the market is slowish, I advertise to the south, and up in Seattle. I have found some great people North and South of me..I personally only have eight goats, so if I can't sell a goat, I just keep it, it has happened, but my prices are usually good, reasonable, even though I have been told I should ask more..
    I have never taken to market, I would put a goat in the freezer if it was a wether I couldn't sell, but not my spoiled milking queens!!

7. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i will sell my does dirt cheap if i absolutely have to and my bucks i will wether and sell at the auction
    dire circumstances only

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i'm selling most of my percentages now.....pretty tough with craigslist, in the past few days some lady from the lower '48 is flagging EVERY livestock ad....this morning she posted and told us (the livestock people) that we were "Bloodthirsty Livestock Killing Rednecks...." LOL, alaskans cant get red-necks.

But sometimes as the others said "must do what you gotta do, and i wouldnt let reg. stock go unless theyre willing to pay. you could always sell them w/o.

BTW-- what would you do with the papers if the animal died?

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm not sure what others do but I was planning on burning the papers. That way no one can tattoo another goat w/ the same description as the dead animal, then sell them or whatever (yes, there was some wacko teenage girl in our area doing that!! :roll: )

I mainly advertise on CraigsList but also put an ad in Capital Press a couple weeks ago. . . . got some calls but no sales yet on that ad. I also advertise in feed stores and other online sites too.

10. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I have papers from two dead goats..I can't make myself destroy them..am I suppose to?
    I just have them in the back of my file with goat papers in it..Should I destroy them??

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    For some reason I think you're supposed to send in the papers to the registry when the animal dies and tell them the animal has died. I know w/ horses you're supposed to do that, but not sure w/ goats. Maybe someone could email ADGA or AGS??

12. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    never thought of that
    i have papers from a herd sire that died of UC
    i will email my registries
    MDGA TMGR
    and see what they say...?

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I thought of that when Annie died, we kept the papers as proof that she was alive. I know I've seen animals registrations on sites like ADGA from 70's and earlier, I highly doubt that those animals are alive, if someone went around trying to name an animal after a dead one and registering it, they wouldn't be able to, if they kept it in the registry, so i wouldn't destroy them. For now we're just keeping her papers as a token.

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Our first yr into goats we had to put a doe down who had kidded 4 days earlier. When I sent in apps for kids I put a note that the dam was deceased. It is in their files. I still have her papers.
    I will not sell an animal for more than ten bucks under what they are worth. If we have to we will put him/her in the freezer.
    On the other hand we have done lots of trading. Last year we had a great ennobled buck here because he needed a place to stay. Free breedings and they signed the memo.
    Right now we have an offer on another fine buck for later this year. They have a couple of our nice does.

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I don't usually have any trouble selling goats. If I need to move a group fast for money or lack of feed then I price them cheaper and sell them. I still include papers though. I don't sell registered goats without papers unless the animal itself has a flaw which deems it necessary. Otherwise the papers go with the goat. However, the only thing I sometimes have a lot of that aren't moving very fast is wethers. I do deals to move wethers. I don't have the room to hang onto them till someone needs or wants them. Does are different, does are productive so they stay till they sell or I may just keep them.

16. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    The crazy girl that cheated on her papers is horrible with goats, the die from worm overload all the time. Anyways, she lost a pygmy and got another pygmy exactly the same, and tried to pass it off as her dead pygmy. She got caught because someone in 4h knew the goat was dead. People will do some weird weird things. I will just mark my goats as dead, and not worry about it. I guess we should be careful we are buying the goat we think we are?? Check tatoos? BTW, the crazy girll was kick out of 4h..she does still breed goats though, poor things..

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i don't think she's crazy.. just irresponsible and likes to cheat..

but let people do as they do.. you can't really stop them.. just warn yourself and others

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If you'd have known her, you'd think she's crazy. Victoria knows her personally and is not just spreading rumors about her.

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i've seen crazy.. and i've seen ignorant.. but either way you can't really stop her.. unless you could get all her animals taken away if they are all dying of worms... but chances of that are close to nill..

20. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Let's remember the original subject here please :grouphug: :wink:

I myself sold a few Boers at auction that I HAD to get moved, but I never had any problems selling any of my Minis. They are REALLY hard to find around here (especially unregistered ones). I agree with what most everyone has said. I have already got people requesting kids from my rebuild, but if I were to have any Does/Doelings that didn't move I would just retain them or keep them till they moved. The Bucks you could always wether and sell as pets, or in meat breeds you could sell them for meat or put them in freezer camp.

As for advertising... I list my website on a few goat breeder directories, and I advertise on a few different classifieds. But honestly, my website is what generates the most business. I rarely have ever had to advertise goats for sale in the local papers (unless I was just trying to remind everyone that I am still here :greengrin: ). Sometimes when kidding season gets close I will take out a local ad saying that we will have kids soon, but that about it. I think it is really all about finding what will do well in your area, and figuring out which advertising angle is best for your situation/area :wink:

I hope all of that made sense :doh: