The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it involve? Like, what is the entire process of getting them ready, booking, vet?, is there an age requirement on goat kids, everything. What does it involve?
And I mean, shipping them through the airlines.
I would like anybody that wants one of my goats, to have the oppertunity to get one.

Thanks in advance!

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Delta and Continental are pretty much the only airlines that ship live animals.....I breed English Mastiffs as well so I ship a lot of puppies.

I have brought in goats from across the country for myself and assume it's pretty much the same as with dogs/cats.....you need a health certificate from a vet that is no older than 10 days on the day they fly........they have to be 8 weeks of age.....(I think goats are the same as dogs/cats).

I usually look at flights on kayak.com or one of those sites to try and find a direct flight.......or at least a flight that doesn't have a layover longer than a couple of hours.......once you get a couple of potential flights you call the pet reservation line and see if the planes for those flights are equipped to fly animals....some planes are and some are not.

Usually it costs $250/275 for the intermediate crate which is what size crate you need. You can usually ship two animals for almost the same price (it's also weight based so you will pay a small amount more....$20-$25 for the second animal) so when I flew Nigerians up from Lost Valley in Texas I bought two because shipping cost pretty much the same for one as it did for two.

You need to get to the airport 90 minutes before flying to do the paperwork. YOu don't pay for the flight when you make the reservation you pay at the airport.....sometimes you do the drop off at the baggage area and sometimes at the cargo area......remember to take your health certificate, some food and a bottle of water. Put bedding inside the crate.......

Anyway, that's what's involved.......

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!
You raise mastiffs? Way cool, I love them! Do you have a website? I've been wanting one for a while, but I'm really picky :p
So how much more do you think it would be to ship 60+lb kids? Individually.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
That could be around $400.00 because the crate has to be large enough for them to stand up in so you would be up one size above intermediate.....you can always call the airline, the pet reservation line.....

I think I had my last litter of mastiffs this year, I still have one bitch that I could breed whose maternal grandfather is the winningest mastiff of all time, Southport Sherman.....

Puppies always come at kidding time and it is just too busy for me.........so I had to choose....lol.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
American Airlines also ships animals.

Some good and some arent. Some airports are better then others too. Because Ive had people say AA was terrible and wouldnt ship goats but thats the only one i used (once) and it was pretty easy.

Not always can you ship two in a crate, some will insist on you having separate crates. depends on the airport/airline.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I have shipped to Alaska with Continental airlines, it was around $350 a few years ago. You need to get a proper size shipping dog crate, airline approved.
Goat must have enough room to stand comfortably and be able to turn around. Must have the food and water tray inside, that attaches to the door.
I froze water in one tray and the day of the trip to the airport and when we were leaving. We put it in an ice chest until we got to the airport.
We taped with clear tape, a bag of pelleted Alfalfa and strapped bottled water on it as well, with feeding instructions. As the goat was getting ready to go, we put some pellets in the little feeder tray.
Live animal stinkers, sender name/reciever ect needs to be filled out. If you get a new dog crate with airline approval, they usually come with the stickers needed.
You will need a health Certificate, it will be time limited. You will have to tell your vet, where it is being shipped to, so they can find out, what is required for that state.

At the bottom of the crate, we placed 2 pee pee pads(for dogs/puppy) and straw on top of that, it kept the goat dry.

Airlines won't ship after the weather is too hot and there is a weight restriction requirements, with goat and crate weight. You can only ship 1 goat in a crate as continental will not allow anymore.

But with any airlines, find out requirements. Call live cargo dept.

Sometimes, they have lay over, so that is why the feed and water is attached to the crate with feeding instructions. Find out if there is lay over or not.

We give probiotcs at minimum prior to take off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts