For those of you that use a machine to milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by mikenandrea, Mar 9, 2010.

1. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I have a couple of questions..

Ok.. the first most important question is:
    Do you filter and and strain the milk? I honestly dont see a need to do this since the milk goes into the covered milking canister. I guess I am not sure exactly how the filtering works with one? Is there a filter already inside it?

Do you handle the milk the same way you would if you didnt have the machine? Meaning, Do you take the steps you would to get it cold fast as if you were hand milking?

I think that is it for now.. :)

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Filtering wouldn't apply because of the fact that the milk is going straight to the "bucket"....as far as cooling immediatly it still applies.

I hand milk.

3. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I have the Hoegger milking system, and although its not fool-proof for no dirt, it is pretty clean. I still strain my milk, because hair and maybe dirt occasionally slips in, and its routine since I pasturize everything. I milk like normal, take it inside, and the top of mine comes off, so its just basically a stainless steel milk pail, put it in the fridge, come home and pasturize, the same way I would via hand milking. Hope this helps a little, but please remember I'm quite OCD about dirt/hair in milk lol :?

4. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I asked DH could I get a "new toy".. He has given me the go ahead.. :leap:
    He just doesnt know what my 1500. is going toward.. LOL
    I told him not to get mad when he sees what I spent it on.. I havent purchased anything large in a while!!