For those of you who do your own fecals...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Dec 22, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I can't find any worm eggs! lol What am I doing wrong?

I mash the berries up, filter them through cheesecloth or a paper towel, put it in a test tube with a cover slip on top, wait 20 minutes and then look. I can't find anything but hay! I tried 8 different goats.

Maybe i'm weird, but then I got curious. So I put a drop of my own blood on a slide and looked at it. I can find my rbc just fine. It looked pretty cool to. So if I can find rbc I must not be missing worm eggs...

Whats wrong? :shrug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you are seeing hay you need to filter it better. You want murky water with no dibre in it.

Maybe your girls are just fine :D

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thats what I thought, but I tried 8 goats, I thought one of them must at least have a cocci floating around. lmao

There not big chucks of hay, just the little particles, but I know they are hay.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I use this site to do different ways of checking my goats.

http://www.dairygoatjournal.com/issues/ ... rsman.html

I do not use the sugar solution I have made the one with Epsom salt.

Have you ever seen anything on the slides before? I thought I was going crazy when I say like a million things on a slide the first time I did it. i panicked, so I got a fresh sample and took it to the vet. He had me come look and show him what I was seeing, and he told me "those were air bubbles" :ROFL: I felt so dumb, but he did show me how and what to look for.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thats a great site!

The bubbles annoy me because I keep thinking I've found something, but nope, nothing.

I've looked at slides before in microbiology, so i kind know what I'm looking for.

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I love love love the microscope!! I could sit all day looking at stuff!! It's like looking into outerspace. When I was learning fecals at the clinic I work at I would get real annoyed when the animal was obviously full of worms, and I sure couldn't find them. Well, I soon found out that just because there is nothing showing on the slide, doesn't mean there are no bugs. The animals may not be shedding eggs at the time of the fecal. It is frustrating knowing there should be something there and there's nothing there! I am sure you are using a fresh sample, that is important. Funny that bubbles look like eggs!! I still catch myself with bubbles!! Glad I am not alone!! Bubbles are pretty too!