For those of you who mix your own grain....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by all1965, Jan 11, 2009.

1. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    For the breeders out there that custom mix their goat feed, what percentage of ingredients do you use? Like what % corn, oats, barley, molasses, minerals, etc.What percent protein do you feed and how do you insure that the Calcium/Phosphorus ratio is correct for the bucks and wethers?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am looking into a custom mix for my goats as I believe it would be cheaper and healthier, so I am eagerly awaiting the answer to this.

As a side note question: Is there any place close to you(all1965) that does custom mixing?

3. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    The ONLY place I have found so far that custom mixes feed is in Imboden which is about 45 minutes from us.
    If you find any place please let me know.
    I just would like suggestions on how much of what I would need for a balanced diet and see if it's any cheaper for me.
    I pay around $9-$10 per 50 lbs right now.

4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    My mix consists of oats, rolled corn, dairy pellet, boss, and gold cote oil. I mix it so it comes out to 16 . something % protein feed.

30lbs oats
    30lbs rolled corn
    20lbs dairy pellet
    6lbs boss
    1lb gold cote oil.

Too see how well the girls look on this mix, go to http://fcnubians.webs.com and click on the does page and their names, Hannah and Delilah (Georgia wasn't fed this since she was a dry yearling.)

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am using a developer pellet and its $16 for 50 lbs. The only one that actually needed the pellet was the Boer buckling. The dairy does do not NEED it and the mix would be much better in my opinion. Paragould is a bit limited on whats available. What are you feeding now?

6. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    We get our grain from FSI in Hoxie or Walnut Ridge I can't remember what its considered.
    We feed ADM's Meat Goat Power Roughage (not sure if this is the exact name) . It's 16 % and is medicated. We have to special order it as he doesn't keep it in stock but he is very good about getting it.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I mix fifty lbs rolled corn 50 lbs rolled barly and 100 lbs rolled oats. Top with one cup black oil sunflower seeds and one tablesppon ground flax seed. During the winter time the girls get about two to three cups beet pulp. They have free choice orchard alfalfa mix hay and all the alfalfa pellets they can eat between them in about ten minutes. Kids get the same minus the beet pulp and in smaller portions. Bucks get a handful of grain along with the BOSS and flax to keep their coat in condition.
    I like to keep my protein level about twn t twelve percent in my grain. the rest comes from hay.
    beth