For those of you with registered domain names, scam alert

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goathappy, Dec 10, 2008.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    For those of you who have domain names registered for your websites, please watch out for a scam from the Domain Registry of America. I recently received a letter from this company stating that my domain name was going to expire in a couple months and that I needed to renew it before December of this year. Not thinking I went ahead and had my dad pay the bill because I didn't know who my domain was registered with in the first place and I didn't know how much my domain cost in the first place(DROA advertised $30 a year or $50 for two years) I had bought my domain as a premium package through Freewebs(now

I received an email this morning stating that I needed to transfer my domain over to the DROA from the provider that currently holds my domain(ENOM INC, this is the place where Freewebs gets and resells domains from) I was a little confused and when I went to switch over I googled DROA to get their website and I came up with a couple articles that this place sends letters out stating that your domain needs to be renewed along with what looks like an official bill.

So I can't believe I was stupid enough to fall for this and luckily they don't have a credit card number but for the rest of you I am just warning you before hand.

What I hate about this situation is that when you have your domain registered, all your info like street address, phone number and email are all listed when you look up to see who owns a domain :veryangry:
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    thats why I paid to have my name taken off the whois registry when I registered this domain name doesnt help though that I havent done that for my one though :( I need to see if I can do that.

Yes I have received those letters from that company. Actually have it sitting on my desk right now. if you read through it the letter says that it is not a bill and you can switch to their services if you want to. This was the second time i got the letter. I saved it because i need to shred it and not just throw it out.

You shouldnt HAVE to switch to them but make sure you do pay freewebs (or whoever you have your domain name registered with).

3. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I just got a domain name set up for my daughter (because she's been performing and might want it someday) and the company I used, maddog, was able to make the contact info private for a reasonable fee, I think it was five dollars a year. This way, if someone looks it up on, they get that it is held by a proxy and given the company info. The company that you use probably has the same service, when I was looking into this, quite a few did.

It's like paying the phone company to be unlisted, kind of a drag, but because she's a child, I didn't want it all out there, so it seemed worth it.