The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So still a beginner in the goat world but after dealing with a mild case if mathtitus I noticed my milk machine isn't fully milking out my does.. Do y'all who use a milk machine need to hand milk even if you do use a machine? Or am I just doing something wrong?

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Yes, I always hand milk the last few squirts or so out of the doe. I think sometimes the machine just can't squeeze the teats just right when they are almost empty to get that last little bit out. I do have a couple does that I will get close to a lb of milk more from by hand milking right after I take the inflations off. Milk machines can cause mastitis if you leave it on too long, so I always stop it as soon as it isn't getting a good full stream of milk from them, then milk the last of it into the inflations, I just open the valve so it sucks the milk up when the inflation gets full.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Yep machines can't milk like hands so you have to finish up. If you do let them completely milk the doe dry it can damage the udder tissue anyway.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I use the maggidan machine but I always milk out by hand, and I usually get another cup if not more. Yeah, no machine will milk completely out. I'm kinda hoping not to have to use the machine with my standard girl, but we'll see...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts