The Goat Spot Forum banner

Foreudders

879 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  singinggoatgirl 
#1 ·
I have a decent grasp of what good rear udders look like. I'm lost on foreudders, and that's what y'all have said I need to improve in my herd. See post: https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/3-year-old-dairy-doe.219011/

I can tell when the goat has an absolutely terrible udder, but not when it's mostly good but still imperfect.

I'm going to draw some goats I've seen around the internet. Can y'all tell me about their foreudders so I can figure out what to look for in a buck's dam?
Rectangle Gesture Slope Grey Art
Handwriting Gesture Art Font Wood
Handwriting Font Twig Parallel Art
Handwriting Font Art Drawing Paper
Branch Font Art Pattern Slope
Handwriting Gesture Art Font Drawing

See less See more
Reactions: AlabamaGirl
#6 ·
You really need to feel a foreudder to know exactly how good it is, or at least see the goat from further back. If you draw a straight line from the hip bone down, the foreudder attachment should, ideally, reach that line. It should be smooth and flat to the belly. Keep in mind foreudder really takes a few years to fill, so if the does are young you can’t be too harsh on them. Also, almost all foreudders will get a “lip” and not be smooth if the doe is uddered up too long. Based on your drawings, #2 has the smoothest foreudder, but like I said, that’s only part of it.

#8 ·
Does #7 have a pocket? or is that udder still acceptable?

Are #4 and #5 too steep in front, or are they good?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.