:( Fortunate is not feeling so well, I believe...ideas?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Firestone Creek Farm, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Fortunate is Cinnamon's only surviving baby out of the quads. He's 3 days old now, and today his eye is bothering him. It's watering, and he had a little pus in it this morning. He's also acting like he doesn't feel 'wonderful'. Will the Penicillin I'm giving Cinnamon help him out if he's getting sick? Or should I give him some too???

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how is his temp.?.take that first...if he doesn't have one ...sometimes the babies get a cold in the eye...(put a little in a syringe take off the needle) ...drip a couple of drops in the eye for a few days ...it should clear right up.... :wink:
    How is he acting ? Is he eating? playing?

3. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    put a little 'what' in a syringe... penicillin??? he's still eating, but not as much as I would like to see him eat. Perhaps i'm judging him based on the other babies that are a week older than him... quite possible. He should be the same age as them, really... but he's so much smaller that I worry about him. He's doing a lot of laying around... some exploring, but not a lot of bouncing like the others...

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes penicillin....a couple of drops in his eye will help ...unless it is Entropia.. :(
    He sounds like a typical 3 day old they aren't as active then and do sleep quite a bit....take his temp to make sure....

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    warm compresses to the eye will help also.

I would definately take his temp - make sure he is nice and warm and check his tummy a couple times a day for a "full" belly. Some are really active at 3 days - some just are more calm and layed back..... but definately keep an eye on him.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If he has a temp then I would give systemic antibiotics, but if he doesn't have a temp I would just flush his eye out with normal saline and put a drop of La-200(Biomycin, oxytet) in his eye.