The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have two what a believe to be neutered brush goats, not sure on their breed. We have been taking care of them for two weeks at the High School. Prior to bringing them to our homestead for the summer.

We really do not know any of their history other than there was a death and they became homeless, and ended up in the FFA program at the High School. They appear to be in good health well mannered for the most part. I was checking everyone today and the Foster kids as I call them, seemed like their eyelids were not as red as I would like.

As far as I know they have not been dewormed. Right now the pasture they are in is grown up about 12 inches perhaps a little higher in spots.( This really irritates the adjacent property owner on one side as according to him chiggers, and any other manner of bugs will take over the world if your grass is more than 1.5 inches tall)

As far as our gang goes eyelids are all red to bright red. So do I give the foster Kids dewormer or wait to see if his is their baseline?

Thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
Congratulations on your new "foster kids". First of all, I'd recommend keeping them in quarantining them for several days before introducing them to your herd that way, if they do have worms or some other disease, they are not contaminating your pastures for the other goats. Get a fecal done and base your decision to deworm on that. If you choose to deworm now, I'd do it while they are in isolation. Have another fecal done in 10 days after worming to determine if your wormer has worked sufficiently.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations on your new "foster kids". First of all, I'd recommend keeping them in quarantining them for several days before introducing them to your herd that way, if they do have worms or some other disease, they are not contaminating your pastures for the other goats. Get a fecal done and base your decision to deworm on that. If you choose to deworm now, I'd do it while they are in isolation. Have another fecal done in 10 days after worming to determine if your wormer has worked sufficiently.
Thanks we are only going to have them for two months, but I want to make sure they are well cared for. I am fairly certain they are disease free as my son is the Vice President of his chapter of the ffa so by default he took o the role of care giver for them during the school year.

I know it sounds silly but they were in a temporary small pen at the school so I kind of felt bad for them, besides it’s a lot easier to care for them at our place versus traveling 20 minutes a day each way to the school twice a day, so there is that.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am so glad that you chose to foster them. They will be happier
That is the goal By the start of the school year the green house and ag area should be completed only a year later, funny how there was plenty of time and resources to get the football field done way ahead of schedule.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Wcd that is the same here. Unemportant projects are completed on record time and praised but value adding projects are just dragged out and become more expensive.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wcd that is the same here. Unemportant projects are completed on record time and praised but value adding projects are just dragged out and become more expensive.
Oddly enough The FFA here does all of its fund raising and several people donate time and money because they care and understand the value of the program. And see the value in it for the students.

Unlike some of the spoiled brats with sense of narcissism and entitlement on sports trams, whom are a priority largely because of skewed values.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
The only time a project like a greenhouse or a veg garden or an proper animal enclosure is completed here is if a politician can score brownie points with a rich comunity

1 - 9 of 9 Posts