fostering *pics added*

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by AlaskaBoers, Feb 7, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hi
    Rose had trips on Monday, two were stillborn, the other is doing very well. and Rose is being a great mom.

but...

Rose has way more milk than needed for one kid, and she's the last doe kidding for awhile. Another breeder has a doe kid for sale that she offered to me for a good price, only 2 days younger than Rose's kid. healhy, CAE, CL, Johnes Neg.
    Is there a chance she would accept this kid? I could rub something on both kids to make them smell similar and separate them from the doe for a few minutes. :shrug:
    Or just hold Rose until she accepts her. I just dont have enough time in the day to milk this doe, school, and taking care of everything else.

any thoughts...?
    I'm going over tommorrow anyway to see the buck kid from Narcissus that I sold.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: fostering

you can try putting vicks on both mom's nose and the kids but ;)

but there is still no guarantee she will take the kid -- are you able to bottle feed if mom wont take the kid?

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

thanks, I'll try that, if I get her.

bottle feeding sucks :( , If anything, I'll hold rose still while the baby nurses.

any other opinions?

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

sooo. I went and got the doe :doh:

shes doing good, rose wanted nothing to do with her, so I gave her a nice warm spot right outside the stall where she can go in and out. The other kid LOVES her :love:
    So i guess, I'll be milking out Rose and feeding the kid until I can get them to warm up to each other. shes a spunky lil goat.
    I tried the vicks, on both kids butts and heads, and on Rose's nose...but she can see the difference. and no, i'm not gonna blindfold her ;)
    any tips?

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

Theres also the vanilla trick. Didnt work for me but it wouldnt hurt to try!
    So this doe is getting Rose's milk did I readthat right?
    Maybe she will.....and try putting her milk on her?

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

put the milk on the baby?

ugh and the baby isnt bottle trained...hated the milk. grr. why do I bother?

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

Yes, put the milk on the baby. That way it's a smell that came from the doe.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

guess I'll try it, wont hurt.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

hold Rose for the kids to both nurse at the same time -- when she goes to smell the kids nursing let her only smell her real kid ;)

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

I'll try again tommorrow.

thing is, the baby doesnt want to nurse anything but her mom, i tred to get her to take rose's teat but nothing worked. and rose is a pain to milk....

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

so the baby hasnt eaten since you got her? she will think differently about holding out on the milk when she is hungry tomorrow

how old is the new doe?

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

she's eaten a bit from the bottle, its milking Rose which is the hard part. I'm bringing in the stand tommorrow, and the kid will have a chance to nurse...i'm sure she'll want to.
    peed alot last time i went out there, pooped too.

the new doe is 5 days and Rose's kid is 7 days

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

should I leave her be tonight?
    shes sleeping contently under the lamp, with the other kid. (they have a 'safe' spot)

I emailed the breeder letting her know whats up

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

HeHe ...I have done that.. with another kid that needed extra from another mom.... and it worked until she sneaked and took a sniff....after that she jumped all over the place saying that isn't my kid and I am not feeding it.... :doh:

I had one like that a few years ago...the booger wasn't getting enough so I tried another doe....to find out...there was no way she was going to take the teat....very aggravating... :hair:

Sounds like ...she is cozy... I would leave her there then.... :greengrin:

I also heard of getting moms pee....eww...and dabbing it on the kids head and tail area... :shrug:

Good luck.... :hug:

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

Talked with the breeder, she raises her kids on lambar and milks the does

she told me not to feed the kid for 12 hours, to get her hungry,offer a bottle to the kid quickly, then tie rose up and give her grain while the kid nurses the bottle, then take the bottle away and substitute a teat, dont let rose turn around to smell the kid, and dont let her kick. that way rose wont know whats up...besides nursing the kids gets her grain. and the kid will learn that this doe has milk.

she said the doe wont accept the kid until the milk has gone all the way through the kid...meaning, poop. :)

shes such an awesome person. gave me a confidence boost just now. :)

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Some does though ...will kick away kids... when they are eating...good luck... I hope it will work out.... :hug:

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: fostering *Pictures Added*

[​IMG]
    here she is, little doe kid. Taboo

And Roses kid:
    [​IMG]
    from two days old:
    [​IMG]

she got up, stretched and laid back down to sleep