The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday I helped pick up my neighbor's new Nubian babies! spent all day playing and snuggling with them! yesterday I was at work and found a tick on my head!! omg!!! freaked out a little. First time for this!! I camped and hiked for years with no tick incidents!!! Didn't even think about the new goats having them!! hahahahaha!!! Guess I know now not to snuggle that close with them!!!

·
Super Moderator
59,760 Posts
The ticks weren't necessarily on the goats. They could have been on the ground in the goat area. Or you could have picked one up while you were walking to the goat area.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i dont think i have ever seen ticks on goats, sheep yes. did they have sheep too? i hate ticks, we never had them when we were growing up but we sure have them now. last year was really bad for all the creepy crawlers. so far this year is better, probably because our winter was colder and never ending. SNOW ON MEMORIAL DAY!!!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
that's so nasty. I found one trying to burrow in the crease of my finger once when I was ticking the dogs, and freaked out. I bet you that you want a shower right now, don't you?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
We have TONS of ticks here. Find them on myself a few times a month and it's gross! Mostly come in with the cats and dogs.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
I find em almost everyday. They are bad here in Kansas. I found six in one day ON ME. I don't freak out anymore, I am so used to it! They love to get into your hair, that's for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This makes me so incredibly grateful that there are not ticks in Alaska...at least I have NEVER seen any or heard of anyone seeing one. I got one on me once as a child while on vacation in Florida. And all I can say is EW.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
We have a.bunch of those things here! My cats are deticked two or three times a week. One if them, my white one, usually has 2 or 3 on him. The dogs don't have them but they're inside. Never found one on the goats before. I've been told their skin is too thick and hard for the ticks to penetrate. I'm not sure there's any truth to that though.

·
2,751 Posts
I just helped a lady the other day who had 3 ticks on her goats eyelid in one day! Yuck.

Here's a tip everyone. Put lavender on your head, neck, arms, and ankles. Repels ticks very well.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I pick 10 ticks off my goats the other day my sire had one about size of a dime between his horns.
I have woods so they go back in there all the time.
I guess time to get some chickens again

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I pick 10 ticks off my goats the other day my sire had one about size of a dime between his horns.
I have woods so they go back in there all the time.
I guess time to get some chickens again
Guineas are even better. Although, our tick population has dropped since our pullets have been out of the brooding box

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Ticks are out of control here. The dogs got frontlined a week ago, and yesterday one had six ticks, attached, after a walk. After every walk, the dogs are checked over for ticks. I keep a jar of rubbing alcohol, each tick picked off dog or people goes in. It is getting pretty ridiculous.

I have chickens, and I only give them feed once (in the evening) to encourage foraging. They may help, they may not. But if I walk in the tall grass, I have ticks aplenty all over my pants.

Guineas are even better. Although, our tick population has dropped since our pullets have been out of the brooding box
My friend with guineas offered one a tick that she found on me (not yet attached). The guinea refused the tick...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
^ frontline hasn't been working here.. Our vet stopped using it because it just doesn't work! We use... Ahh I forget the name off the top of my head! It starts with an S and it's made by Baer (sp?) and it's a collar that lasts up to 8 months! So far so good :D

·
2,751 Posts
Do you mean a drop of it or do you mean that you dilute it and spray on yourself?
You take the bottle and put you hand on it, then tip it over, then put the bottle back on the counter and you will have a small amount on your hand. You just rub your hands together and dab it on yourself. And, a little bit goes a looong way. :eek: I would suggest NOT doing this before you go out in public, everyone will be making odd faces. Why the heck do you smell like that??!! :eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts