The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
She's somethin' you can't tame. She's a Mustang.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went out to spend some time with my doeling and I was petting her on the withers. I found a "lump" with a scab over it. My acrylic nail had accidentally picked a side of the scab when I was petting her and a thick greenish yellow pus started to ooze out. I went ahead and removed the scab and tried to get the rest of the pus out and did the only thing I could think of: flush with hydrogen peroxide to kill germs and covered it with a thick layer of triple antibiotic ointment.
I checked her all over for anymore things out of the normal but found nothing. She is active, bright eyed and eating very well with firm, pelleted droppings. I searched the barn for any nails that may have poked her when she was jumping around but I couldn't find anything but a bent nail in an area that would be kind of hard for her to hurt herself on.
I don't want to run off to the vet if it's not a big deal (I've heard that harmless abscesses can be a common issue in goats & sheep) but I'm just very worried because with all the pus out of the "abscess" there is a hole about the size of a tiny green pea left and it looks white inside. I can take pictures tomorrow if it would help. I need advice on how to keep the wound from getting infected & how to get it to heal fast.
Thank you!
:kidred:

·
She's somethin' you can't tame. She's a Mustang.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
- My nose is very stopped up at the moment so, unfortunately, I couldn't tell you what it smelled like. I will go buy some iodine in the morning then, thank you!

- I gave her a CDT vaccine in that area, could it have gotten infected maybe?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts