·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and moringa is amazing too, but not as easily found here.....

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Glad you found something. It is much harder to help when we don't have the same climate and foods available.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Karen.

Yes, it's also hard when no one knows the names of the plants here! someone from the US actually gave me the answer...they live in TX and are growing it themselves, and someone in AZ is growing moringa!

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
very interesting : ) thanks for shareing!!!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ seriously! between my issues with nutrition, and Dayna's hoof issues, we got whole raising goats in the tropics covered!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my doe in milk and buckling will eat it. my other doe will nibble, but won't really eat a lot of it. i'm sure she'll come around soon.

now everywhere I drive, I take note of where I can go forage some. yes....i'm fully embracing the crazy goat lady title!

·
Registered
82 Posts
We are in SW Florida, which is subtropical. Last year I planted Moringa trees, which are similar in fodder value to leucaena, and this year I am sprouting my first leucaena.

One of my favorite things about the Moringas is that they grow prolifically, and no matter how badly the goats abuse them they bounce right back with a little rest.

Another idea for Florida folks is perennial peanut hay, which is rare but it is out there. It has a similar feed profile to alfalfa. You can grow perennial peanut for yourself in warm areas.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh yes, but we don't have a lot of land, and not sure where we can find it here (people don't like to deviate from growing their usual whatever it is they're growing).

i'd love to grow more moringa, but our soil on our land is terrible. we put 1 tree in the ground, and it kind of struggled. the goats got to it now, and it's trying to bounce back, but it looks so sad! :( we have 4 more in pots from seed (they're grow great from seed), but the slugs got to them.

sigh...so many pests in the tropics!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^ my bf said they're really easy to transplant. he put some twigs in the ground and they grew!

moringa is wonderful too. if you can get your hands on some seeds, try growing those.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts