Found external parasite - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Jan 23, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I found an external parasite on my new little buckling and am freaking out!!!!!!!!!

The head and body area of the parasite seemed to look almost a red or marron, but it definately sucks blood, as it was attached to his skin. I have never noticed this on ANY of my goats. But I just went to try and feed him and his skin was red, so I started looking through his hair.....

What could this be??? How do I get rid of it?? And what can I use on him that is safe for 2 day old babies???

Thank you all. I feel so ashamed as I check my goats constantly and have never seen anything on them and don't seem to itch......

Thanks Allison

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

sounds like lice, what color is the goat?
    beth

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    All, I have ever had to do is use the 7 dust on mine. I put a good amount down the back, and as they shake, they will get it sown their sides.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Allison it is nothing to be embarassed over. We have all delt with external parasites. I need to dust my goats this week. I have noticed them itching alot.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

nope nothing at all to be embarrassed about, lice can come in on bales of hay or straw. Very easy to get rid of. Like others said the seven dust
    During the summer if i see i have lice then i start shaving goats , lice tend to not like being exposed.
    beth

Attached Files:

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am just so embarrassed as my bottle baby is going to his new home, and I just noticed it about 2 hours ago when i was feeding him. There were not alot as I picked off the 5 that I saw and squished them. They popped like flees do when you squeeze them.

I have been looking on the internet and I think they are the sucking lice.

I just don't know when or how they got to my ranch. I am wondering if it was on the doe I let come up and breed and I couldn't see it because she was black.

This weekend I am mucking everything down to the bare dirt and buying all new straw. I hope that it is not in the hay. I have hay from 3 different places so I am not sure if it would have been from there ------

agggghhhhh - how do I tell this new owner - "here is your new baby - oh and it has a few added friends!!!"????

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yea that makes it difficult, you can give him a bath in the tub if he is small enough and use Kitten flea shampoo, blow him dry and make sure he is completly dry beofre he goes back outside. I have done that before. it works well and then he will smell good for his new mom.
    beth

8. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    :ROFL: You are cracking me up. Lice are a part of livestock ownership. I use a prevention sprayed down their spine each and everytime I trim hooves. Winter time is when they seem to be the most problematic. If this is a young bottle baby you might think about using a kitten flea dust on him. You need to redust him in 2 weeks to kill what has hatched also.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    trob1 - why am I making you laugh ??? hehe! No one warned me about this - or ever told me that I should dust or anything - I just feel so stupid.

The problem is is that he is going to his new owner's house straight after work - see I work 40 minutes from my home. I brought him with me to town and he is at a Doggie Daycare in the back room so that I can feed him during the day. His new owner is meeting me there when I get off of work.

I think I will go get some shampoo and dust and just give it to her, as I feel so bad. I only charged her 45.00 for the little guy. He is pure bred, but not papered. I just want him to be healthy - I really don't care to much about the money at this point.

10. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I was laughing so hard because you reminded me of me when I first got into goats. I had some bottle babies I purchased when I noticed they had bugs (lice). I hate bugs and so me and my mom swung into action and had all the goats so wet they were soggy but the lice were dead. Now it is just part of owning livestock and I don't get too bothered if I see a bug.

You should not feel stupid ever. I wouldnt buy any shampoo just go get some kitten flea dust and dust him then give it to the new owners and let her know to dust him again in 2 weeks. A breeder I once talked to told me that if I ever have a goat that doesnt have any lice at all then she would like to know my secret and I could make millions off of it.

On your adult goats I would get permectin II and dilute it like the bottle says, put it in a spray bottle and using a stream not a mist spray it down their spine from neck to tail head now and then again in two weeks. Then if you are like me and hate bugs on your goats just spray them each time you trim hooves. I used to use the dust but hate that everytime I pet them powder would go into the air. I do still just the babies but only if needed and usually right before they go to their new homes.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    great!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much trob. I was a little scared of the dust only because I have a lung problem that causes one of my lungs to collapse when I am arround dusty stuff like powders and ash.

I know the feed store has the permecctrin-2 that you are talking about because I called them, but can I put that on the other baby, or should I just use powder on her also??

Where can I get the kitten powder from?? I have never heard of it.

Thank you for making me feel better about it. I felt like crying earlier, and then when she said she was coming to get him tonight instead of this weekend or Monday - I paniced!

Thank you to you all!!!

12. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    They have the kitten flea dust at walmart, TSC and most any feed store or pet store around. I would use the kitten dust on any thing under 3 months old.

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    perfect - there is a pet store on the way to picking him up at the sitters!!!

Thank you all SOOOOO much!

14. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Definitely lice; and if he has it, your entire herd has it...that's the only explaination for a 2 day old baby getting it.

Get some horse lice duster, and delouse your entire herd; you can also inject everyone with Ivomec injectable to finish the job.

As far as the new baby I have used the horse dust on them at this age (auction babies) with no complications; my preferance is to give them a flea bath in a mild puppy\kitten flea shampoo. Let him soak in the shampoo for a good while though, and then rinse and repeat. Dry him thoroughly!! Then delouse him with the dust if you wish.

15. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Be sure to dust your bedding too.

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have been washing everything with bleach - do I need to still dust it if I did that??

I bought the kitty dust for the baby and I bought the permectrin II for all the adults. But I change bedding every 12 hours for mom and baby and wash it in the hot water with tide with bleach, regular bleach, and fab softner - do I need to dust?

I am pulling all straw from the bedding in the barn on Friday and Saturday, then I am going to cut hooves, treat each goat and spray the grounds in the stall - will that sufice???

Thanks Allison

17. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Allison I don't know the anser to your q but thank you for posting this! Im sure the new owner will appreciate your honesty.
    I bet many of us have various problems w/lice or mange....these things need to be adressed without fear of reproach from others because they are a fact of life.
    One of my challenges has been chorioptic mange. Bleach water didn't cut it. Vinegar didn't help either. The only effective thing thus far has been Ivermectin pour on every 21 days. After a couple of months their heels finally look pretty darn good in comparison. Some had it worse than others.The senior doe who started it all last yr has shown no signs this yr.

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so glad that you are getting your mange problem under control.

I was FREAKED out when I saw this yesterday. I pride myself on my animals being so healthy, tested negative to everything and taken care of - and then this---- i was devestated!!!

I just powdered mom and baby and the bedding area where they are. Tommorrow I will clean their stall outside and spray the ground and treat everyone else while I cut hooves. This out to be fun since I am SICK SICK SICK!

Time to go feed everyone else!! Got the indoor animals done - now for outside!

19. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Bleach isn't going to kill the lice, but the combination of hot water then if you dry on high heat should.

The very first goat I got had lice when I brought her home. I used Diatamaceous Earth (DE) on her and it worked well, I brought in another one that had lice and I used 5% Sevin dust and it also worked fine. But if they are on your goats they are in the bedding where your goats lay down, etc. I would just take either one of the above and dust where there bedding goes, even though you are cleaning it out all it will take is 1 bug to still be there.

Since I have not brought in anyone new, I dust mine every couple of months with DE, just right down their backs and sprinkle it in and around my barn. It also helps keep the flies down in Summer.