The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure of the spelling... My Nigerian is favoring her front legs... The guys at the feed store asked if she was eating a lot of corn... yes she gets into the chickens area! Does anyone know about this and how it is spelled so I can goggle it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
401 Posts
The way i like to put it goats, like alot of animals, dont have that switch that tells them to stop eating so they just eat and eat and eat till they make themselves sick.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Feel around her ankles, just above the hoof. If you can feel a fast pulse she is most likely foundering. I have delt with foundered horses and it isn't too fun. Basically you need to keep her on a pain killer for a couple weeks to help with the inflammation in the hoof. This is what causes the pain and the damage. In a horse if they founder really bad their coffin bone (bone inside the hoof) can actually rotate until the tip of it goes through the bottom of the hoof. You need to take her off of all grain and just give her grass hay, keep her in an area with soft ground and trim her hooves. With horses you typically want to trim the hoof to where you are pulling the toes back underneath them, you trim the toes fairly short and leave a little heel. This helps prevent the wall from separating from the sole. If she is foundering her hooves will most likely become a bit deformed and grow funny for a while.

When you say she is favoring her front legs, is she keeping her front feet way out in front of her and kind of rocking back on her back feet. Kind of looks like she is getting ready to stretch like a dog? If so, that is what a horse will usually do when foundering, they are trying to get their weight off of the front feet.

I hope your doe isn't foundering as it really isn't fun and can cause a lot of damage to their hooves.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a wether that foundered two years ago and has never been the same since. I keep him alive because he still has a huge desire to play, otherwise I would put him down. I hope it isn't the case for you!! :(

·
1,524 Posts
you can also look up laminitis in goats. I have had a few rescue goats who had foundered before i got them. Very painful and the hoofs are usually permanently disfigured form the disease. You see rings on the hoofs and the hoof itself will be rock hard after the initital onset.

If she is foundering, you need to get anti-inflammatories into her (dexamethasone) and pain killers (Banamine) into her. Soaking her feet in cold/ice water will help the pain and minimize the damage. No grain, just hay. If she did founder, then you will have to watch her grain intake for as long as she lives. Once an animal founders, they are subject to re-occurrences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your responses... When I say she is favoring her front legs, she holds her fronts legs up, one at a time as she is standing still. She has no limping and I don't feel a pulse around her ankles. I have removed all grain and put her on a hay diet. I've been cutting her hoofs every two weeks. Thanks again everybody! I'll try to find someone local to look at her... I'm in Austin, TX

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She does appear to have large front knees, however... these are my first goats... and I'm learning alot about them! what are clinical CAE goats? And how can I reduce joint pain? Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello.
you can also look up laminitis in goats. I have had a few rescue goats who had foundered before i got them. Very painful and the hoofs are usually permanently disfigured form the disease. You see rings on the hoofs and the hoof itself will be rock hard after the initital onset.

If she is foundering, you need to get anti-inflammatories into her (dexamethasone) and pain killers (Banamine) into her. Soaking her feet in cold/ice water will help the pain and minimize the damage. No grain, just hay. If she did founder, then you will have to watch her grain intake for as long as she lives. Once an animal founders, they are subject to re-occurrences.

Hello. Reading through past post about Founders and saw this...
We have a young wethered who is displaying signs of Founders.
Here is my question??? When you say no grain only hay or grass what kind? We let our goats free feed on timothy hay and pellets.
And how in the heck do you get turmeric in them? Ours are so spoiled they won't eat bananas or vegetables. Only apples.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts